starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting becomes a good morning

Default Squatting becomes a good morning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First thanks for everything! Bought the books, been following the program for a couple of months and am loving the results!
    My training partner and I think my squatting technique is good when I keep the weight at 80% or lower (when warming up) but once I get to my worksets, I find myself either doing a good morning (b/c my hips rise faster than my shoulders) or if I try to get them to rise at the same rate I seem to lose my hip drive/bounce. Do you think could be due to a lack of tightness in my lowerback/abs? Would a belt be helpful for this situation? I can still get through my reps, but my deadlift suffers (unless I miss my squat reps entirely, then I can make the deadlifts fine b/c I haven't tired my back out from all the goodmorning-squats).

Thanks!

BW 200->223
    Squat 85->270
    Bench 100->155
    Press 60->119
    Deadlift 135->280
    Clean 45->160

Something is wrong here, because your deadlift is only 10 lbs ahead of your squat. Squat goes up 185 lbs. and deadlift goes up 145 lbs -- your squat is most likely high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Something is wrong here, because your deadlift is only 10 lbs ahead of your squat. Squat goes up 185 lbs. and deadlift goes up 145 lbs -- your squat is most likely high.
    I spent a couple years screwed up like this until I found this forum, and then several more months before I realized I just needed to get my dead lift up. I had all kinds of reasons for my slow progress, but mainly fear of injury. You'll be amazed at how much more weight you'll be able to keep on your locked back once you get this fixed. Now I'm off to fix my other squatting problems and add some more lbs to my deadlift.

I don't think my squat is high, my training partner has verified that the apex of the crease in my shorts goes below the top of my knee:
    When my squat was still at 225, I realized my deadlift (which was 285 at the time) was VERY round-backed, so I reset it down to 200 and have slowly been working my way back up, also hampering it is my shortish arms compared to very long legs and torso (I'm 6'3 with short arms), and because of the goodmorning aspect of my squats, my lowerback is gassed by the time I start deadlifting.
    Am I correct in thinking the issue is a weak lower back? Should I lower the weight in my squats until I can get my shoulders to raise at the same rate as my hips, or would a belt perhaps fix my problem?
    I am still following the basic SS template, do you think that switching over to the more advanced template (Back Xtentions and chinups after benching, alternating pulls after pressing) may be required?

Thank you for your time.

The issue may be anthropometry. I can't see your lifts from here, but short arms may make a sumo deadlift your best option.

OP, it's not terribly uncommon, ive squatted 405x5x3 and pulled 405x4, both PRs, and i also have short arms (but am 5'9). Squats were confirmed to depth, deadlift was confirmed heavy. oh well

Not everybody can be a good deadlifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not everybody can be a good deadlifter.
    But, can everybody be a good squater?

Not everybody can be a good lifter. The squat seems more forgiving of anthropometry than the deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Rip, What is a 'normal' squat to deadlift ratio? 80-90%?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast