starting strength gym

Thread: How much to reset due to poor squat technique?

Default How much to reset due to poor squat technique?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

Firstly I just want to say that your books and other resources, such as this website, are fantastic. Thank you and please keep up the good work!

My question is regarding resetting due to poor technique. I'd been doing the program for 8 weeks and everything, I thought, was going well. All lifts were going up as they should. I had a consultation with JP when I started and hence was eating enough. However when my squat was at 125kg I filmed my squat and was horrified with what I saw. I searched the board, re-read the book and found lots of good advice. I've been working hard to correct my squat over the last few weeks.

Here is my ugly squat, for reference, at 125kg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2MIXU0eLg#t=30s

So, my question is - how much should have I reset to fix my squat? As I right this it occurs to me the answer is probably as much as is required to fix the form problems. Is that correct? Then do I just start the linear progression for the squat again from whatever weight form looks good at? I feel I may have to go back to 80kg, in affect restarting the whole program.

Secondly I'm now suffering from paralysis from analysis and am having trouble correcting my squat further. Here is me squatting 90kg yesterday. I know it's not right as the bar path is all over the place however I'm not sure what exactly is causing it now. If you could give me some cues that I could employ to improve I would be most appreciative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3mzvD9VPU

Here are my details btw:

Male 35,
    Body weight 108kg - up from 95kg in 10 weeks :-)

Work sets in kg, starting --> current.
    Squat 70 --> 125
    Bench 60 --> 92.5
    Deadlift 90 --> 140
    Press 45 --> 66
    PClean 45 --> 70

Thanks again,
    Feodor

All these squats are high. All of them. The set at 90 looks light, but the guy standing there telling you "Good" is not doing you any favors.