starting strength gym

Thread: sore soles of heels

Default sore soles of heels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been deadlifting barefoot on a wood floor. Starting at about 150 lbs deadlifts, the soles of my heals have been sore. Sore enough that they throb a bit and I don't want to walk around the house barefoot. The soreness goes away after a day or so but I cannot image what they would feel like if I was deadlifting bigger weights like 300 or 400 lbs. I suppose I'll try deadlifting in Chucks and see if that amount of cushion helps disperse the force. Anyone else have this problem? Do heels just get used to pressure?

Thanks.

Why are you not using shoes? Low IQ is not hereditary, so you can't blame Mommy or Daddy in your answer.

Lifting weights barefoot is so fucking stupid, for lots of reasons. I would rather squat and deadlift in my running shoes, and these kinds of problems never come up.

Seems there are other people around these parts that like lifting barefoot. Pavel recommends it strongly in Power to the People. So although it may not seem like a good idea, and may not be a good idea, some people may think it is a good idea and enjoy it.

Regardless, I started wearing my Chucks this week and don't have sore heals. Probably a good idea anyway as it is only 8 degC outside now which makes bare feet a bit cold.

I've done the last couple of DLs barefoot on concrete since shoes were messing up my form. Haven't had any issues. I've acquired WL shoes since then, dont know if they'll be an improvement on barefoot though

I deadlift +350 on rough concrete slabs. Suck it up. Also, stop wearing fucking shoes everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I deadlift +350 on rough concrete slabs. Suck it up. Also, stop wearing fucking shoes everywhere.
    That's very bad advice. "Sucking it up" and being "villain" isn't always the right snap judgement.

We're talking about sore feet, likely because you're not used to doing things barefoot. It's not like I'm telling you to squat with a broken femur.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Do heels just get used to pressure?
    Yes, this will probably go away

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    We're talking about sore feet, likely because you're not used to doing things barefoot. It's not like I'm telling you to squat with a broken femur.
    I did everything barefoot as a little kid. Though my feet were never as tough as my nephews(same age) and he always teased me calling me tenderfoot.