starting strength gym

Thread: Humerus Pain

Default Humerus Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All

I've been on SS for a little over two months. I am 48YO, 225 lbs. Just switched to Onus Wunsler template. Lifts are;

Squat 245x5x3
    Press 122.5x5x3
    Bench 170x5x3
    PC 105x5x3
    DL 285x5x1
    Chins 3,3,2 (Only done two workouts w/chins)

Pain developed along the outside of my humerus (near the deltoid tuberosity) after the first workout including chins. This AM during squats it flared up badly. Extremely painful between sets but subsided somewhat after 5-6 min rest. Pain was very similar to shin splints.

Anyone else have to work through this? Just train through it? Drop chins til it heals? BTW, it does not hurt at all a couple hours after working out, even if I press the area w/my fingers.

Thanks for any advice.

Barry

Hahaha, LoL.

If I was really worried about it I'd just do 1 set of chins on my next chin day, then 2, then back to three and see if it's any better. If it's like shin splints you probably just need some time for that connective tissue to adapt, and it's probably busy doing that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Hahaha, LoL.
    It may be that Teh Humerus is not funny?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    If I was really worried about it I'd just do 1 set of chins on my next chin day, then 2, then back to three and see if it's any better. If it's like shin splints you probably just need some time for that connective tissue to adapt, and it's probably busy doing that right now.
    Thanks. Not terribly worried and thought it was due to adding chins. It was severe enough to affect my Press today.

Matt, Really? You are easily amused!

Quote Originally Posted by Swible View Post
    Thanks. Not terribly worried and thought it was due to adding chins. It was severe enough to affect my Press today.

Matt, Really? You are easily amused!
    I agree with Wayno's recommendation. Question: How far apart were you holding your hands? You may want to try either narrower or wider (in slight increments) to see if that also helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    I agree with Wayno's recommendation. Question: How far apart were you holding your hands? You may want to try either narrower or wider (in slight increments) to see if that also helps.
    Hand position on chins is a little less than shoulder width. My gym does not have a straight chinning/Pull up bar, just a couple freestanding racks for chinning, dips, abs and a couple assist machines. I am using one of the racks. It's pretty fixed with two hand grips, the hand holds are set at a slight angle towards neutral. I'll see if I can go a bit wider. I am about as narrow as I can go.