starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Injury

Default Press Injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    As I stated in an earlier thread, through hyperextending my back on a press (195lbs) I injured what I believe to be one of my thoracic vertebrae. I really don't have any pain unless I press (135lbs today - Minor irritation on some of the reps), but I want to continue pressing without furthering the injury.

To give you some background:

There's no pain throughout the day unless I TRY to Hyperextend my back.
    Mobility isn't limited at all
    The area doesn't feel swollen
    There's no tingling of the area or anywhere else throughout my body

Do you have any experience with these types of injuries, Rip? If so, what was it? How did you handle it?

If it was a muscle injury, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'd just focus on rehabbing it, but I'm out of my element with this injury. It could be bone or ligament for all I know.

For now, I'm just going to continue lifting while trying to minimize layback on the press. But, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks for your time, Rip!

Abe

When did you hurt it? Guys, try not to omit important details like this.

6 days ago, Rip. Sorry about that. Like I said, really there's little to no pain unless I hyperextend my back. And, even then, it's really not excruciating pain as much as it is uncomfortable. I just hyperextended it right now - felt strange, probably a 5/10 on the pain scale (1 being hardly any & 10 being repeatedly kicked in my private section)

It will heal if it's no worse than that. These things happen, and I have no idea what the exact etiology is.

Gee for a weight trainer you sure do use some obscure words. "The word "etiology" is mainly used in medicine, where it is the science that deals with the causes or origin of disease." For those of us including myself who do not know what it means. Mr "Ello" go and get checked out and make sure you have not damaged anything. For crying out loud, Don,t play around with back injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It will heal if it's no worse than that. These things happen, and I have no idea what the exact etiology is.
    Glad to hear it. I just wanted to make sure to tread on the safe side of things. Thanks, Rip.

Or you could follow wal's advice and go to the doctor every time you hurt your back. That's probably safest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Or you could follow wal's advice and go to the doctor every time you hurt your back. That's probably safest.
    Remember, Safety First!

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Gee for a weight trainer you sure do use some obscure words.
    Rip uses precise words, to say what needs saying, as succinctly as possible. It was not at all obscure to this reader. I hope someday to achieve his content-to-word ratio.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Gee for a weight trainer you sure do use some obscure words. "The word "etiology" is mainly used in medicine, where it is the science that deals with the causes or origin of disease." For those of us including myself who do not know what it means. Mr "Ello" go and get checked out and make sure you have not damaged anything. For crying out loud, Don,t play around with back injuries.
    Etiology is hardly an obscure word for a nursing student. Rip, I believe, knows this because I've posted that I am a Nursing student in his Q&A section before. Regardless, I do appreciate the advice. I had considered going to the doctor, but I'm quite familiar with their advice from working in a hospital. Let me give you an example

Person A: "Doc, I hurt ____ by doing (insert sport/activity here). What should I do Doc?"
    Doctor: "Well, there's no permanent damage at the moment. But, if you continue doing (insert sport/activity here), you might do further harm. Rest for (insert 1-10 weeks here) and get back to me and let me know how it feels."

Patient returns after prescribed amount of time.

Person A: "Well, Doc, it doesn't hurt unless I try to engage in (insert sport/activity here)"
    Doc: "Then you should stop doing (insert sport/acitivyt here)"

In essence, the doctors rarely help you REHAB the actual injury. They don't/can't offer advice on how to continue to engage in your activity of choice while eliminating the primary problem for 2 main reasons: 1) Liability - they don't want the responsiblity of giving advice knowing full well that most people are morons and won't follow it - possibly resulting in further injury and 2) Knowledge - they lack it. Most doctors are familiar studying the sedentary population. They understand how to treat/diagnose common medical problems.

Sports injuries are a completely different set of problems and require a completely different approach. This is why I defer to individuals with that experience - be it Coaches, Sport Exercise Doctors, or Players. These individuals aren't concerned with simply eliminating the pain; they're concerned with resolving the problem so that the athlete can come back just as strong prior to the injury if not stronger.

Now dont' get me wrong, there are doctors that know how to treat and rehab injuries. But, common everyday doctors, in my experience as an athelete and nurse, do not. And, to be fair, it's through no fault of their own. Medical studies rarely study atheletes, so of course medical texts are based off the "norm" - untrained individuals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast