starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's this upper arm injury

Angry What's this upper arm injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I experience pain in my upper arm from holding the bar on my back as described in the book. I have held it in this position for years, but over a certain weight, the strain on my upper arm/shoulder causes an aching pain.

The pain is very very similar to shin splints - which I get when if I run - and extends from just above my elbow, on the side facing away from my body, up to the shoulder, just before it meets the collar bone.

It's negatively affecting my press and bench.

Please look at the attached picture for clarification.

arm-pain.jpg

If anyone knows the name of this, at least I can Google it. Any other advice about recovery would be appreciated. I don't want to stop benching or squatting if I can help it!!

Cheers,

Jimmy.

Please clarify a little more: You say it hurts when holding the bar on your back, but it negatively affects presses and bench? So does it hurt while benching and pressing too? Does the pain present it self down the side, front, or back of the arm (i.e. feeling in certain muscles)? Does it make your arm weaker? How much are you benching vs pressing? Any previous injuries/symptoms in the upper arm? Is the pain sharp or more of a dull persistent pain? Does it hurt only when lifting or all the time?

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to answer your questions.

You say it hurts when holding the bar on your back
    Yes, it hurts during the squat and hurts a lot as I am releasing the bar back onto the rack after a set
    So does it hurt while benching and pressing too?
    After finishing my squats it hurts a lot. A severe throbbing ache I would say. So when I move onto the bench or press, it's already really hurting. Then the pressing actions may make it hurt a bit more but if I take pain killers (I have been recently) I can work through it.
    Does it make your arm weaker?
    Yes, I believe so. The arm that is hurting (the left one) feels weaker than the right. My feeling is that while pressing and benching doesn't feel particularly comfortable or strong, it's not the cause of the pain.
    Does the pain present it self down the side, front, or back of the arm
    It's difficult to pin point as it's more of a diffuse ache. It seems to radiate from and between the two points I illustrated on the image i previously posted. If my arm is in a neutral position by my side then the pain presents itself on the side of the arm, about two inches above the elbow joint, seemingly between the bicep and the tricep muscles.
    The pain runs up to the shoulder, exactly at the point where the deltoids end and the pecks begin.
    How much are you benching vs pressing?
    Pressing 115.5 pounds (52.25kg) vs. 181.5 (82.25kg). Measly weights I know. I am currently trying to work hard to improve these, which is exactly why I don't want to stop!
    Any previous injuries/symptoms in the upper arm?
    Yes. I had exactly the same problem last summer which was a huge part of the reason not to lift so much during that time.
    Is the pain sharp or more of a dull persistent pain?
    Most definitely dull and persistent. Like shin splints, if you know what that feels like.
    Does it hurt only when lifting or all the time?
    Starts hurting when I squat heavy (warm up sets don't do it). Then persists while I am lifting and for maybe an hour or two after that. I usually take pain killers because it's distracting.
    Recently I can feel some discomfort, at both the pain points while at home. It's not severe, just a dull persistent ache.

Thanks for your analysis on this issue.

Jimmy

Not an expert on what is going on here, but I may lend a suggestion. It sounds like a nerve (more specifically the musculocutaneous nerve) has become entrapped. The reason being is you say the arm hurts over a general area (side of the arm) and based on your picture presented and direction of the line, it looks a lot like the direction of this nerve. Also you say it makes your arm feel weaker. Lastly, you say it starts when you squat heavy and then presists for an hour or two after, but isn't constant 24/7. This nerve pass through the coracobrachialis and travels between the biceps brachii and brachialis on the lateral side of the arm and then becomes the lateral antebrachial nerve (penetrates the forearm) above the elbow. So it could become trapped somwhere along this line possibly higher up (i.e. near the coracobrachialis or higher where the pain ends). As for what to do you can try an extensive warmup of the arms/shoulders and increase flexibility in the upperbody after lifting and take some anti-inflammatory. See how this treats you, but if the pain persists you may need to see a doctor or your can see a doctor as soon as you seem fit based on how everything feels.

I've had problems with this as have many others (see links below). Lately it's been much better. I don't take much ibuprofen anymore. What's helped is making sure my upper back is tight, that the "shelf" is as stable as possible and that I get the bar in the right place on there BEFORE I unrack the bar. Also, I make sure not to wrap my fingers around the bar at all. I just make loose fists and have part of my palms on top of the bar. This reduces my tendency to pull the bar down onto my back.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=20427
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=11815
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ead.php?t=9387
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14589

I have this problem right now. Mine is in the lower attachment of the biceps, a little into the brachialis, subsequent pressing or benching adds some pain in the triceps and a little into the deltoid. It makes more sense that it's a nerve issue than the tendonitis I suspected because

1. It goes away after a hot shower and an hour or two of rest.
    2. The general nature of the pain (biceps, triceps, forearms, shoulder)

The fun begins with the squat around 135 - 185 lbs. right after I rack the bar and start to let go and get out from under it. It feel like the radius and ulna are being pulled apart from the humerous. After that anything involving the arms including trying to curl a protein shake is misery.

Nabbler, that last link you posted is a gold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    Nabbler, that last link you posted is a gold mine.
    Yeah I just wish I could see the vids of the OP. Hate it when vids that loads of people have commented just disappear - hard to learn from that.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nabbler View Post
    I've had problems with this as have many others (see links below). Lately it's been much better. I don't take much ibuprofen anymore. What's helped is making sure my upper back is tight, that the "shelf" is as stable as possible and that I get the bar in the right place on there BEFORE I unrack the bar. Also, I make sure not to wrap my fingers around the bar at all. I just make loose fists and have part of my palms on top of the bar. This reduces my tendency to pull the bar down onto my back.]
    Thank you for the advice on technique and the links. I'll be trying these things out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy9pints View Post
    Yeah I just wish I could see the vids of the OP. Hate it when vids that loads of people have commented just disappear - hard to learn from that.
    Yeah, it would be helpful to see the hand position in the OP squat. They mention holding the bar with the heel of the hand just resting on top. That's how I have just started doing it, and the pain started almost immediately. I'm not a brain surgeon, but I'm starting to think that may be the problem.

Is that how you hold the bar, too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast