starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay whatever you want facility in Seattle

Default Pay whatever you want facility in Seattle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip:

You don't have to approve this post, since it's probably blatant advertising (though for an unviable business). But I was reading through some of your books - particularly the summed up posts in MOMG - and you routinely comment about the viability (or lack thereof) of a black iron gym in Wichita Falls. Well, I've opened a similar type of small training area in Seattle, and it turns out that it's much the same.

We cater to mostly baseball players since the area is in a baseball warehouse, but I'm interested in training anyone who wanted to work hard. We offered discounted semi-private training, but I've decided to offer group training to everyone for whatever it is they want to pay. They'll pay in anonymous envelopes so I won't know who pays what.

I know that when growing up, I didn't have any coach who gave a shit about me. And I grew up in a poor urban area (Cleveland, OH) and we didn't have facilities of any type besides the YMCA.

I've followed SS for 9 months and moved to PPAN and then a variety of Westside programming, and I've gotten respectable. I wouldn't say strong, but decent with a 425 SQ, 475 DL, 245 Bench, and 210 power clean at BW 220. (No making fun of the bench, please.)

I just want to make some facility available to kids of all incomes in the area and see if there really are people who want to train hard. Who cares about the viability of it all. I'll gladly take a loss on it to give kids the exposure that I wanted when I was younger, but didn't have.

Thanks for all your help with the books and the forums. You've inspired me a bunch. And like I said, I obviously understand if you can't post this (or some derivation of it) because of the blatant advertising. Just wanted you to know that someone out there views training in a similar light even though he knows it's a black hole profitability-wise.

-Kyle
    Owner of Driveline Athletics and Driveline Baseball

An interesting experiment. Keep us posted.

Seattle needs more black-iron gyms. I only know of a couple.

Eastside Strength & Conditioning is one of the better ones we know of in the country. We're there in May.

Thanks a lot, Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Eastside Strength & Conditioning is one of the better ones we know of in the country. We're there in May.
    I've heard good things, but there's not much in Seattle proper. We're located technically in the city limits of Seattle, though towards the north (Lake City).

The website is drivelineathletics.com. Take a look if you like, or drop me an email at kyle at drivelineathletics dot com. Come on by the small warehouse!

There's that, a gym run by a former powerlifter that's really for geared competitors, charging per-visit for coaching (Seattle Strength and Power), and a neighborhood gym run by a former powerlifter with a power rack in back, and chalk. I haven't had a chance to visit Eastside Strength and Conditioning yet, as my old job included a membership to a "health spa" that nonetheless had 4 squat racks and one set of bumper plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    There's that, a gym run by a former powerlifter that's really for geared competitors, charging per-visit for coaching (Seattle Strength and Power), and a neighborhood gym run by a former powerlifter with a power rack in back, and chalk. I haven't had a chance to visit Eastside Strength and Conditioning yet, as my old job included a membership to a "health spa" that nonetheless had 4 squat racks and one set of bumper plates.
    Been to both; trained at Seattle Strength and Power for awhile until they started charging $500/month for access.

There's an Olympic lifting place with platforms and Eleiko equipment in the old Arena Sports facility in Magnuson. Sam Maxwell runs it and some guys from Thrush work out there too. Cheap enough - $100/month + chores.

Kyle, I like your philosophy. Please do keep us posted on how it goes.

Kyle,

I'm living in Bellingham right now but I occasionally come down to Seattle on the weekends. Would it be OK if I gave you a few bucks in exchange for a place to train? I was lifting at a CrossFit gym down on Lake Union when I was in town, but my friend who was a trainer there recently moved onto other endeavors.
    And what are your hours? I couldn't find them on the website.

Thanks,

Dylan

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck with the gym, Seattle is in dire need.

FYI, there is a powerlifting gym in South Seattle called The United Gym. Downstairs is where all the work gets done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast