starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean videos from today

Default Clean videos from today

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I haven't taped an entire workout in a while, and I did that today. Unfortunately for you, I did not get the snatch on tape where I missed behind and managed to come home with a big ass bruise on my elbow and a huge fucking scratch on my back due to being unprepared to bail on that rep. I'm sure it would have looked awesome on video, though.

So, this is a clean and push press at 123 lbs and 128 lbs. And, a clean at 138 lbs. You will notice that I am not cleaning the way that Rip wants me to clean. So, ignore anything that you don't like about that. Or comment on it if you want.

What some people SHOULD pay attention to is my elbows and rack position, since the most common form error I see here is a shitty rack. Fast elbows, people. I think Sage Burgener says a kitten dies every time you have slow elbows. I hate cats, so no biggie, but don't have slow ass elbows. Catch the damn bar on your delts not on your freaking collarbone. Elbows up.

Also, do not talk with the bar overhead. This is bad. You will see that I do this after my second push press because I am pissed off that I can push press without a problem and still don't know if I will be able to jerk at masters nationals next week. So, in the interest of safety, do not try that at home, children.

Lol what are you so angry about?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Lol what are you so angry about?
    Because masters nationals are in 9 days. I have been push pressing instead of jerking for the last 5.5 weeks because of my neck, and I am not positive that I will actually be able to jerk at the meet. I jerked for the first time today. Up to 103 lbs, and it scared the shit out of me. So, I am more frustrated than angry, but I did state on the video that if I couldn't jerk today that I was quitting weightlifting to be a powerlifter, haha. And, then the gym owner laughed at me for being fat and out of breath from one rep.

Stupid question, but you're not allowed to push press your jerks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Stupid question, but you're not allowed to push press your jerks, right?
    No, you're not.

In the last two it looks like you are jumping forward a little, you probably know this. Good luck at masters nationals. Oh and nice rack.

Quote Originally Posted by WillSurfForFood View Post
    In the last two it looks like you are jumping forward a little, you probably know this. Good luck at masters nationals. Oh and nice rack.
    I will be honest and say that having my hips higher at the start might help this, haha. I could be wrong, but it would be worth experimenting with. It is a bigger problem on my snatches. Not always an actual move forward but having my weight on my toes and not my heels. I'm really good at self-correcting shit on my cleans. Not so much on my snatches.

Thanks!

I don't know if it will help you -- and I know it runs contrary to popular wisdom around here -- but I had the same problem with jumping forward and the fix for me was to start with the bar further forward over my toes (to allow room for my knees) and really focus on pulling the bar in off the floor. It had the added benefit of making the transition to the second pull much smoother (the bar path no longer has an abrupt inward curve) and it helps get the bar further in towards the hips.

Rip coaches the jerk with the elbows down, and without such a long pause between the clean and the jerk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazarov View Post
    I don't know if it will help you -- and I know it runs contrary to popular wisdom around here -- but I had the same problem with jumping forward and the fix for me was to start with the bar further forward over my toes (to allow room for my knees) and really focus on pulling the bar in off the floor. It had the added benefit of making the transition to the second pull much smoother (the bar path no longer has an abrupt inward curve) and it helps get the bar further in towards the hips.
    Thanks. I already have the bar very far forward over my toes, hence my low hips and more vertical back at the start. I'm pulling off the floor the way Pendlay/Everett/etc. teach. I'm going to experiment with raising my hips slightly to see if that changes anything. It's usually not a problem on my cleans, but I am forever forward on my snatches.

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Rip coaches the jerk with the elbows down, and without such a long pause between the clean and the jerk.
    I know what Rip teaches. I'm an SS coach, and a USAW coach, and a competitive weightlifter. I'm well aware of the differences in philosophies.

I'm not jerking in the videos.

I'm push pressing.

The reason for 1)the push press and 2)the long pause between the clean and the push press is that I am rehabbing my neck. The push press is what I am using to work on the neck positioning that my PT wants me to use when I move back to jerking from push pressing. And, it sometimes takes me a while to think about how I need to hold my neck before I put the bar overhead. If you'd ever had excruciating pain shoot down both of your arms when you put a bar overhead, you would understand why I often pause for a few extra seconds before I decide to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast