starting strength gym

Thread: Clean

Default Clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

lol at the guy in back doing the ab crunch machine.

DannyT, your form doesn't suck, but you definitely could stand to move a little faster. You're at the beginner, "slow slow slow slow" until you get to midthigh, and then jumping quickly, which is great...but it looks solid enough that you could speed up to see if things start breaking.

...if that made any sense

Quote Originally Posted by reneelee View Post

DannyT, your form doesn't suck, but you definitely could stand to move a little faster. You're at the beginner, "slow slow slow slow" until you get to midthigh, and then jumping quickly, which is great...but it looks solid enough that you could speed up to see if things start breaking.

haha. that machine is never free in my gym

Thanks reneelee. Yeah, that made a lot of sense. So you think I should start getting more explosive and speed things up a bit. I'm just really paranoid with my clean form because I haven't done this movement a lot, compared to the other lifts. But yeah, I will try to speed things up a bit for you guys next time. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by reneelee View Post

Oh shit, that ab crunch machine thing is awesome! How is it possible that in all of my days of going to a regular "globo" gym I never used one of those? I mean, I did STEP AEROBICS.

DannyT, agree with Renee. Move faster. You can start from the hang and add some more weight to give your brain less to think about.

Not a terrible start, DannyT. The second vid is better, imo. I agree with the above that you should be faster through the pull; in addition, you'll notice that before you jump, you pause a bit. So you're kinda doing a hang clean. Smoothing out the transition should be one of your goals.

First and foremost, though, I'd practice the rack position at the top. If you keep catching the bar with your elbows almost vertical, you'll limit yourself and potentially tweak your elbows. Bad catches are what I fear most about my cleans, since I've given myself some lasting pain in my left elbow from too many of them.

Before you clean, put a bar in a squat rack and unrack it in the correct rack position. That means elbows pointing straight ahead (not diagonal like yours are) with the bar resting on your front deltoids, palms open facing up, with the fingers under the bar. Get used to that position. Maybe do some hang cleans with just the bar and focus entirely on slamming your elbows up.