starting strength gym

Thread: cracking on

Default cracking on

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys just after some advice, done bodybuilding style training for 3 or so years,
    and now come to my senses! Never really followed a programme before just blasted my muscles. My question is do you think I would benefit from SS or more advanced programming. I recently tested my bench, squat and deads for 5's and got the following....

Squat: 120kg
    Bench: 115kg
    Dead: 180kg

I have only just really started proper squatting and won't to get the three wheels.

I would do the linear progression until it beats you down too much to continue. A 264 lb squat isn't really that much unless you're really short, so just do SS as prescribed. It should start getting tough to continue in maybe another 100 pounds, I would imagine.

Edit: I guess I mean small rather than short.
    Last edited by Mark Edward; 05-06-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: precision

I agree. Almost everyone, no matter how long they have been training, can eek out some additional quick gains from following a novice linear progression. Dont run from the "novice" tag, embrace it for as long as it allows you to.

cheers for the quick reply guys! time to get stuck into linear progression! not too sure what to start on regards bench, deadlift, and press as i dont want to stall to early.

The answer is "light". It'll get fuck-you heavy soon enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    cheers for the quick reply guys! time to get stuck into linear progression! not too sure what to start on regards bench, deadlift, and press as i dont want to stall to early.
    Follow the protocol for picking the correct weight - warm up with sets of 5 incrementally increasing the weight that while you can still perform 5 reps the bar speed is slower.