starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing weight on the bar without microloading

Default Increasing weight on the bar without microloading

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How do you accomplish this in a linear progression fashion? Seriously I've read tons of stuff on home budget microloads and stuff and short of tying a string around 2 1 lb packages of ground beef and then tying it to the bar I'm stumped.

Are you asking how to increase without microloading, or are you asking how to microload without buying fractional plates?

The first one. The second I can accomplish by tying ground beef packages to the bar, but I don't really want to bring them to a commercial gym. Would be pretty epic though.

Sorry if I am confused, but if you just want to increase without microloading than all you do is increase by more weight. Microloading is just a term used for making smaller than 5 lb. increases on your lifts.

I don't understand the question. Just buy some washers and put them on the bar.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=96017&ucst=t

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    I don't understand the question. Just buy some washers and put them on the bar.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=96017&ucst=t
    There's gotta be cheaper places to get these washers. The 1.25 lb steel plates at Rogue are only $6 per pair+shipping.

OP - I've seen people put pennies in socks and tie it to the bar. Something like 20 pennies will come close to 1.25 lb.

Ankle weights work too

I live in Canada, nothing useful is shipped up here, we only have outgoing maple syrup and wood.

That pennies suggestion is pretty funny, lmfao. If I had a home gym, that would be my method, but pardon me for being a pansy - that seems kind of silly to bring to my gym.

One other thing. Rip said that all weights are castings, and all can be off by a small margin. Wouldn't the combined effect of a few plates be enough to change the weight and make microloading almost futile? Sorry if I over analyzed this.

Sorry to be a pain with this, but what exactly are you asking? People are recommending inexpensive options for microloading, but it seems you don't want to microload, correct?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm asking if there are ways to manipulate my training so that I can make 5lb jumps in a linear progression manner while balancing workload and recovery. Even jumping 5 lbs on the texas method volume day is pretty hard. Ideally, I want to do SS again and microload, but I don't think the washers here have weight values, or it'd be a pain to find something capable of weighing them (thinking about bringing them to the weight scales for fruit in nofrills lmao)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast