starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: normal lean weight gain question

Default normal lean weight gain question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Doesn't it seem like a gain of 90 lbs on the squat should be accompanied by more than a 1 lb gain of lean bodymass?

More details if you need them:

I just got my bodyfat tested earlier today (7-point caliper test, performed by someone who does it every day), and it said that I have 18.2% bodyfat. I weighed in at 201 lbs (height 5'11" if it matters), so this gives an LBM of 164.4 lbs.

In April, my weight was 185 lbs with a bodyfat of 11.5%. This gives an LBM of 163.7 lbs.

Since April, my squat has gone from 275 -> 365, a gain of 90 lbs.

Someone needs to make sure that Msingh never sees this thread.

I assume you just started when the first BF measurement was taken. Neurological adaptations are largely responsible for the first increases in strength, so I'm not suprised by this.

sorry, your legs maxed out back at BW squats.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Someone needs to make sure that Msingh never sees this thread.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming shitstorm. I'm sure by tomorrow morning this thread will have 30+ pages.

Quote Originally Posted by dsp View Post
    sorry, your legs maxed out back at BW squats.
    This. You started darn close to your max muscle potential. A lean (11%) 185 at 5'11" didn't leave you much room to grow. The sad truth is that you will have to work really hard to gain those last few lbs of muscle (unless you add drugs).

Check this out: http://www.leangains.com/2010/12/max...potential.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    I assume you just started when the first BF measurement was taken. Neurological adaptations are largely responsible for the first increases in strength, so I'm not suprised by this.
    A 185lb guy who is squatting 275 is not exactly "untrained" so while he may have started SS then he certainly had trained (whether w/ barbells or otherwise ) before then. I am surprised by this. I'd expect at least SOME LBM gain.

@snailfacts what kind of training did you do before this ? Were you on a bb program ? Maybe traded some of the "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" growth to "myofibrillar hypertrophy" ? Also how confident are you in the starting bf% numbers ? Were they done by the same formula (and pref. by the same person)?

My money is on the imprecision/inaccuracy of the bf measurements.

Keep training, acquire a godly 90:1 strength-to-weight ratio, and dominate all martial arts, weightlifting and powerlifting competitions from now on.

I did Starting Strength to get from a squat of like 155 -> 255. Then I did Westside for Skinny Bastards because I was bored, and it did almost nothing, so I switched to the Texas Method in April. I probably could have done SS for a while longer, but I'm not really worried about it.

I am reasonably confident in the BF% numbers. They were both done by the same graduate student who is doing research in bodyfat testing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Keep training, acquire a godly 90:1 strength-to-weight ratio, and dominate all martial arts, weightlifting and powerlifting competitions from now on.
    Funny you should say that, because I actually do box and I am kind of stoked that I can remain a light heavyweight after I get rid of my fat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast