starting strength gym

Thread: Journal Watch: Cartilagenous Accelerated Decrepitude

Default Journal Watch: Cartilagenous Accelerated Decrepitude

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This showed up this morning on my Journal Watch service, which I have set to scan for new articles on brain ischemia, stroke, insulin, AKT, hypothermia and traumatic brain injury. What this has to do with any of those topics is beyond me, but it is interesting and at least tangentially relevant to those of us in Genus Geezodus. I wouldn't put off a knee replacement, though...this is going to take a while, and I'm not convinced that materials science won't come up with better answers.

Gene Therapy for Cartilage Repair
    Henning Madry, Patrick Orth, and Magali Cucchiarini
    Cartilage 2(3) 201–225; 2011

Abstract
    The concept of using gene transfer strategies for cartilage repair originates from the idea of transferring genes encoding therapeutic factors into the repair tissue, resulting in a temporarily and spatially defined delivery of therapeutic molecules to sites of cartilage damage. This review focuses on the potential benefits of using gene therapy approaches for the repair of articular cartilage and meniscal fibrocartilage, including articular cartilage defects resulting from acute trauma, osteochondritis dissecans, osteonecrosis, and osteoarthritis. Possible applications for meniscal repair comprise meniscal lesions, meniscal sutures, and meniscal transplantation. Recent studies in both small and large animal models have demonstrated the applicability of gene-based approaches for cartilage repair. Chondrogenic pathways were stimulated in the repair tissue and in osteoarthritic cartilage using genes for polypeptide growth factors and transcription factors. Although encouraging data have been generated, a successful translation of gene therapy for cartilage repair will require an ongoing combined effort of orthopedic surgeons and of basic scientists.

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, the gene therapy will act like a purely organic version of Crichton's moicrobots in Swarm in rebuilding damaged tissues?

Fuck. I just tried to post a 200 word reply and it vanished.

The gist of it was: yeah, maybe, but I still think the real answer to osteoarthritis lies in materials science, not cell biology.

I've had that happen here too. Frustrating as hell. I either write it elsewhere and paste it or save every few sentences. Here thought it was something I was doing wrong.

It's funny, but I can more easily deal with the prospect of a polymer in a joint easier than genes acting like little builder bots in my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It's funny, but I can more easily deal with the prospect of a polymer in a joint easier than genes acting like little builder bots in my body.
    Me too, although it's not the builder bots or the genes per se. It's the cells that the modified genes are in. Cells are funny...especially transgenic cells. Sometimes they get uppity. Sometimes they mutiny. Much fuckery may ensue.

Sully:

This sounds pretty interesting really, but I'm reading WAYYY too much academic stuff for thesis right now. I will gladly participate in thoughtful discussion once I see plain, non-academic description crop up.

Enjoy your fireworks everyone btw!

starting strength coach development program
    Aaaand the rockets reeeeed glaaaare!!!!