starting strength gym

Thread: High stress and impact on recovery/performance

Default High stress and impact on recovery/performance

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip:

I started a new job a while back that involves long hours and considerable amounts of stress. I've slowly turned into somewhat of a nervous basket case, and I have also since struggled in the gym... low back tiring out, getting progressively weaker in my workouts.

My question though, is can/do high levels of stress hinder recovery and performance, directly or indirectly (e.g., lack of sleep)? If so, is it necessary to adapt the program to work within that environment?

~AC

Yes, stress will impact your performance. Aside from affecting workouts, being anxious or stressed too much of the time is just plain bad for your health. See if you can work things to be less stressed. That will solve other problems as well. If that just isn't possible, you will probably need to make some adjustments to how fast you progress with the weights.

yeah, the stress is here to stay... i'm at a hedge fund. pretty much just get yelled at all day. need to figure out a way to build the program around the stress and long hours.