starting strength gym

Thread: Gaining two stone in weight?

Default Gaining two stone in weight?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys,

I started my linear progression at 11 stone and I'm now @ 12 stone after a month. Realistically, do you think I could hit 14 stone (just over 200lbs) before I switch to intermediate programming?

How much weight did you put on? Is there anyone here who started from the same weight as me?

Not enough info. Height? Bodyfat %? before/after photos??

You can definitely be 14 stone or 15 or even 16+. Question is: do you want to? Most of the time the excessive GFH over-eating allows you to get stronger not because it's piling on muscle but because it improves your recovery ability since a large caloric surplus helps your body recover better. If you're eating plenty of food but not stacking on muscle - what do you think you're gaining?

What's funny is when people GFH - not to squat 500 for worksets but somewhere in the mid 250s to 400s and think they're somehow bad ass since they're slightly above average in strength but way overweight for their lifts. That probably is going to be you if you get to 14 stone though.

Yeah, soccer (just to avoid any ambiguity as I assume being bigger is more beneficial for an american football player). I'm interested to hear other people's accounts of how their body mass and lifts increased before they switched to intermediate programming.

I'm five ten btw not sure about mass index (how would I find that out?). Naurally hover around eleven and a half to twelve stone. I was slightly underweight when I started out.

Check out this current P&B discussion too:
    http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49772

Stone? Can't we just pick a system of measure and go with it?

I weight 12 stone and I trained with a 1.5 pood kb, snatched 90 kilos and benched 275 lbs.

Mr. Rooney,
    We respect the fact that you are an Englishman, but Wichita Falls is in the United States, and there are forum members scattered all over the world. Therefore if you post a question for which you would like an answer from individuals not living on your lovely little islands you should use standard units of measurement. We in the US are satisfied with pounds, feet, and inches (as long as you don't start using troy pounds and confuse us); but the rest of the world uses SI, and we can work with that. An additional benefit of SI is the simplicity of calculating BMI should you wish to do so: kg/(height in meters)^2=BMI. The chief utility of BMI is in recognizing terminal anorexia/clinical underweight, but if it is over 30 and you are not squatting double bodyweight you are probably fat.

6ft tall starting weight 10stone (140lbs) no bodyfat visible anywhere,

8 months SS with a injury affecting my squats making it last longer than it needed to,

finished around 14stone (196lbs) with fair amount of belly fat.

Texas method now and although eating more, no gomad means I seem to be getting stronger and recomping

Thanks for the insight and apologies for my use of as many different metrics as possible. Never mind, you weighed 10 stone @ 6 foot? You must have looked emaciated!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneRooney View Post
    Thanks for the insight and apologies for my use of as many different metrics as possible. Never mind, you weighed 10 stone @ 6 foot? You must have looked emaciated!
    Yeah I definetly look miles better now. I just carried no fat whatsoever my entire life until several months of gomad, but this is slowly being stripped away by replacing the calories from milk with calories from lots of red meat and fish. Still getting stronger and slowly putting on weight compared to the way the scales rocketed up at first