starting strength gym

Thread: Iron Plates and Power Cleans

Default Iron Plates and Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First off, I am well aware of "The Iron Plate Problem" video posted about a month or so ago. I am not entirely sure though if my inquiry was answered.

So I understand that you can safely lower the bar from the racked position. I did it for a while when I was still power cleaning. But eventually I got to a weight where I was uncertain if I was going to rack the weight or not. I have dropped the bar several times from about chest/shoulder high. I did have bumper plates so it wasn't a big deal, at the time. But the fact of the matter is that the weight got to a point where I was unable to finish the lift and dropped the weight.

So let's say you want to power clean, but are uncertain as to whether or not you'll make the lift. (I'm going to be moving at the end of October and don't know if I'll have access to a gym where they'll have bumper plates.) So how does one go about training the power clean, or other Olympic lifts, effectively, where the chance of dropping weight is greatly reduced?

I had thought about something along the lines of Wendler's 5/3/1, but change it to 3/2/1 working roughly the same percentages and not trying to max out on reps on the last set. Another thought was a steady state type of training method where I would keep the weight steady for a few weeks, until it became, not easy, but less difficult, and then increase the weight accordingly. Somewhat of an extended linear progression method.

Any thoughts on these two methods or possibly another? And keep in mind that the idea is to increase the power clean, or what have you, but greatly reducing the chance of dropping the weight. Not hoping to get the weight, but knowing you will so as not to start breaking stuff. I have a habit of doing that.

I enjoyed power cleans and would like to continue them, but like I said, I don't want to break other peoples' stuff.

And another thought, does lowering the bar from the rack to the hang position have any negative effects on the elbows or shoulders? If the weight is sufficient enough to be able to lower in such a manner effectively.

Because power cleans are not a max attempt clean, it should be a weight you can quickly lower down. Since I consistently do oly lifting, I have the flexibility. To bring the bar down without dropping it. If you too have the flexibility....this is what u do...

You put the bar on your thighs real fast....as soon as it touches your thighs you squat down, sit down and put th bar down with control. It will hit the floor a bit.

Doing this shouldn't really hurt your shoulders if your shoulders are healthy. Another method is to do power cleans off pins in a power rack. Sit the pins below knee or at the knee. You can, with control lower to thigh and quickly put it back on pins. After many reps it starts to feel lighter.

Linear progression method is probably the best. If you have fractional plates, it would help more than any program you may choose.

Well, while I was doing the Starting Strength program (now on Texas Method) my power clean went from 175lbs 5x3 (read sets/reps) to 215lbs before new rules went into effect. I got to 215lbs but I did not complete all of my sets.

So basically, how would I know to increase the weight and know whether or not I'll be able to make all the lifts? And I have since acquired 1.25lbs plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    Well, while I was doing the Starting Strength program (now on Texas Method) my power clean went from 175lbs 5x3 (read sets/reps) to 215lbs before new rules went into effect. I got to 215lbs but I did not complete all of my sets.

So basically, how would I know to increase the weight and know whether or not I'll be able to make all the lifts? And I have since acquired 1.25lbs plates.

Hmmm....1.25 plates is not bad. If you can get half pound plates it would be safer. actually, this may sound weird but....if you do normal power cleans a bit lighter for reps you can throw in power clean pulls from the hang or floor. This will strengthen the movement without the need to rack the bar. If you are increasing in the pulls, your full power cleans are increasing as well. This is probably your best route.

The number one priority should be your safety. If you need to drop the weight because you missed it, do so. No sense in wrenching the hell out of your back because you don't want to damage some plates.

Rusi Guest

Too much thinking here. I've done a lot of failed power cleans with iron plates and it's not a big deal. If you can't rack it or your wrists end up in a fucked position let it fall. It won't break anything. Also you might do high-pulls instead or power shrugs. It's not a big deal. Clean ain't that special as some people would like you to believe. Not to mention that high-pull and shrugs hit the traps harder. Also remember that shrugs are not meant to be used by complete beginners.

starting strength coach development program
    A miss on a triple should be easier than a miss on a single. I've missed power cleans a bunch and never had to drop the weight to the floor.