starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we die sooner if we train hard?

Default Do we die sooner if we train hard?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe

I'm 180cm tall
    I currently consume 3500-4000 calories daily, I was 65KG when I started to eat more and train hard, and my weight raised to 80KG, but looks like the progressive weight gain has stopped and I shall eat even more if I want to get bigger (and I want).

But:
    burning all of that calories means a very fast metabolic rate, doesn't this speed the aging process? or am I wrong?

I have began to suffer from this aging phobia since I made this change to my life.
    I currently eat 5 meals daily, with each meal I consume 3 cloves of garlic to benefit from the strong antioxidants of garlic to fight with the possibly fast aging due fast metabolism. is it unnecessary?

Please clear me, is there any link between hard training and faster aging?

I would suggest that your current approach will make an early death welcome. Ingesting that much garlic will make it impossible to get laid.

You should pursue life quality not quantity, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    This is a very complicated question. I have a simple answer: No.

And besides, I'm with mlentzner on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    I have began to suffer from this aging phobia since I made this change to my life.
    I currently eat 5 meals daily, with each meal I consume 3 cloves of garlic to benefit from the strong antioxidants of garlic to fight with the possibly fast aging due fast metabolism. is it unnecessary?

You're gonna die anyway so you might as well just enjoy yourself while you're alive. If you like to train, train. If not don't, you're just making the line for the squat rack longer.

You must trip over your feet alot OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I would suggest that your current approach will make an early death welcome. Ingesting that much garlic will make it impossible to get laid.
    Without a doubt.

OP - most interesting to me is that you did not mention your current age while describing your fear of aging. How old are you?

"ScienceDaily (Nov. 14, 2008) — Researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, led by Ajit Varki, M.D., have shown a new mechanism for how human consumption of red meat and milk products could contribute to the increased risk of cancerous tumors."

"Swimming in indoor pools may result in respiratory effects and induce DNA damage that could lead to cancer, according to new research that examined the impact of byproducts of pool disinfection."

After reading those go be a vegetarian, don't ever swim and lock yourself indoors(smoking, drinking, using cellphones and WiFi's are ofc, not allowed blah blah)
    But then again a hurricane might collapse the roof on top of your head while in your sleep...

Live your life man, don't go heavy smoking and alcohol/drug abusing, but come on... being active was never a bad thing, you can see 90 YO females in China still in the rice fields since they were 10... the body is too complicated for anyone to fully understand

Best thing you could do is get proper nutrition and have steady and healthy sex life(NOT kidding)

Besides the obvious fact that you shouldn't worry so much about losing a little bit of life in return for the immense personal satisfaction that is derived from being strong, ask yourself this: what about "hard" training would damage an individual in such a way as to reduce their life span? Strained joints, torn muscles, etc...? These injuries can make you less functional, but do not shorten your lifespan.

But alright, supposedly it speeds up your metabolism, which then in turn murders you sooner. Let's SAY, for the sake of argument, that this is true. Consider this then: the only way to lower that metabolism would be to not train at all. Think of the havoc your body endures via stagnation. Do you see people who spend their lives sitting on their couches (and yes, they have slow metabolic rates) living a long time? No! So stop worrying about such things and just keep training. And for fuck's sake, cut down on the garlic. You're better off getting your antioxidants from multiple sources, anyways. AND you'd be a lot better off trying to get a balanced level of nutrients, rather than overusing one supplement (I'm calling garlic a supp. because you're using it as one).

Or I guess you could always do low intensity exercise for the rest of your life. Who knows, maybe it'll make you live longer. Problem is your soul will die quicker. And, you know, the arterial calcification and stuff.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, barbell training may increase metabolic rate which may speed up the aging process and you may die sooner. If, on the other hand, you somehow manage to keep your metabolic rate low by living a sedentary lifestyle, your inactivity may still kill you with heart disease.

So it really does seem like the best path to take is to live a moderate lifestyle: going for a jog once in a while, doing some bicep curls here and there, but not exerting yourself too much with metabolically demanding activities like weight training. That really does seem the answer to our search for a longer life: mediocrity.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast