starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting on a slightly slanted floor (Garage home gym)

Default Lifting on a slightly slanted floor (Garage home gym)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip&others,

I'm currently working on setting up a squat rack in my garage so I can do my barbell training at home. My unused garage is *just* big enough to perform everything I want to (even standing overhead presses, although that required some creativity with the ceiling padding).

One thing I've noticed though, is that the floor is slightly slanted. Slightly as in, dropping a ball on it would make the ball roll to one side, so my right foot is always lower than my left. It's barely noticable when standing, but I'm wondering how worried I should be about this when I start squatting heavy in there?

Thanks for your time,
    R

I'd level the floor if I were you. It might prevent a bad accident, and it will be easier for you to train in other locations if you don't get used to a non-horizontal surface.

couldn't you reorient the rack such that your heels are slightly higher than your toes rather than left foot above right?

Or buy 2 different shoes, one with a higher heel than the other.

I lift in a garage on a slanted floor as well, didn't even realize it for the first four weeks until my training partner pointed it out. I don't think it's a huge deal, I don't notice it at all.

You could try building a lifting platform that is level. Probably cheaper than pouring new concrete. I have a similar garage and the floor is really pitted and not safe for lifting. But a simple platform out of plywood fixed it up for me.

Many garages will have a gentle slope downward towards the driveway. If that's you, just face the back of the garage and especially if you have lifting shoes with any sort of heel you will not notice any difference.

If you want the barbell perpendicular to your house or at some weird angle to the slope, then I'd build a lifting platform and level that if you don't want to mess with your concrete.

Cleaned the place out and took another look at the floor today. The slant is minimal, 1,2cm difference in elevation over 1m. The floor is pure concrete so if I want to level that it'd require me to hire a mill and some cement. I'll look at what the costs would be, but i'm still not sure it'll be necessary

Technically I could orient the rack, problem is the garage is about 2m60 wide, 4-6m length and slanted in length (As I said, I'm working just inside the boundaries here). This leaves enough room for the barbell, but I'd be unable to get it out of the powercage for pressing and DLing. Not to mention it would feel pretty claustrophobic too.

I'll have a look at both options, any other ideas are still welcome. Thanks!

VinceDN,

all garage floor slant to allow fluids (oils, cleaning etc) to drain properly. Just for your info I've been lifting in my garage for 30+ years, no problems yet! I'd say don't worry about it ...

Steve.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Brod View Post
    couldn't you reorient the rack such that your heels are slightly higher than your toes rather than left foot above right?
    This is what I have done in my garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast