starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low bar really hurting scalpula

Default Low bar really hurting scalpula

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What's up Rip?

Quick background, I've been doing the program for 3 months and experienced a great deal of increase in both size and strength. My big 3 lifts have all at least doubled thus far and I've gained 35 lbs of functional size, so thanks a lot for the great routine.

Now for the issue,

My shoulder blade on my left arm is starting to become bothersome and a bit painful. If you squeeze your shoulder blades down and together, that's where it hurts, but onlyon the left side. None of the other exercises really even affect this part of my body, so i detected the problem as the heavy squat, cause after every work set I feel a slight pain there.

I iced it one night and when I had my two days off, my upper left back didn't feel as strong as my upper right side, but it didn't hurt at all. However, when I squatted yesterday it came right back. So I'm really trying to identify the source of th problem here.

I have the book, and perform the squat pretty much exactly how instructed. Should o switch to high bar? I don't want to have to resort to high bar because low bar feels much more comfortable for me except for this damned pain.

Also, I tried yesterday to hold the bar a bit higher than customary low bar to see if it was just that I was holding the bar too low and no go. It could be that I hurt my left side cause it feels significantly weaker on that side. I.e., when I throw a jabi feel the loss of power.

Thanks in advance

Scale of 1-10, how bad is it? One is no pain at all, 10 is burns over your entire body.

Well to be honest, it's not that painful at all. When I try to activate the pain myself it's around a 4, but sometimes I'm just doing something and it triggers a sharp pain that I'd rate a 6-7.

What worries me is the fact that it is a pain, and not your typical soreness. It's starting to affect alot of my regular movements, for example if my left arm is at my side and it is raised (as in raising my arm to say hello), Swatting a fly (random), and so you can further identify the pain, when I do a left hook (as in the punch) when I elevate my arm to about face level it's fine, but when the arm starts to come across as if to strike the target, that's when it hurts the worst.

I read something about correcting my elbow position which I'll give a shot, like keeping my elbows down. But I'd appreciate any advice on the matter

What has your chiropractor said about this injury?

He told me to ask you.

Mark would also like to hear the opinion of your witch doctor, shaman, and faith healer.

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny View Post
    He told me to ask you.
    Ah. You aren't actually hurting that bad, and you haven't actually done anything about it yet, despite the fact that I have recommended a chiropractor as the first, least-invasive approach to this specific injury about twenty times on this board. Tell him I said to charge you triple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Mark would also like to hear the opinion of your witch doctor, shaman, and faith healer.
    And a guy with "tao" for a username shouldn't be too terribly critical of "alternate" approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And a guy with "tao" for a username shouldn't be too terribly critical of "alternate" approaches.
    Just refer him to me. I'll bet I speak his lingo.

Fellow Mystics From The Far East. Good. Adjust his back while you're there.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fellow Mystics From The Far East. Good. Adjust his back while you're there.
    I'm having trouble deciding if I should channel Johnny Carson as Karnak the Magnficent or Bullwinkle reciting "Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast