starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weightlifting shoes

Default weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Never mind. I found some shoes I can get through Paypal. Are these shoes good enough for power cleans http://www.maxbarbell.com/collection...tlifting-shoes
    My power cleans don't feel powerful enough with chuck taylor's so I figure I need some weightlifting shoes.
    Last edited by hamworld05; 09-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Shoes should help your powercleans but you might want to checkout WLShoes.com before you make any decisions, they are a well known review site.

Quote Originally Posted by b3astmode View Post
    Shoes should help your powercleans but you might want to checkout WLShoes.com before you make any decisions, they are a well known review site.
    Hmm. I got told chucks are similar to weightlifting shoes since chucks have a hard flat sole. So I'm just saving my money.

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    Hmm. I got told chucks are similar to weightlifting shoes since chucks have a hard flat sole. So I'm just saving my money.
    They are not. Not only do chucks have a slightly compressable sole, lifting shoes have and elevated heel. It makes a huge difference in your lifts IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    No. What you’ve probably heard is that Chucks are a better option than sneakers/trainers with big, fluffy, cushy soles. This does not mean that Chucks are at all similar to weightlifting shoes, even if it would be very convenient for you if it did mean this.

So what is the current recommendation for shoes these days? The search function yields numerous results, but they seem to change rather frequently. As near as I can tell, the Adidas Power Lift Trainer seems to fit the bill with only a 0.6" heel, but I'm interested in some feedback from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    So what is the current recommendation for shoes these days? The search function yields numerous results, but they seem to change rather frequently. As near as I can tell, the Adidas Power Lift Trainer seems to fit the bill with only a 0.6" heel, but I'm interested in some feedback from the board.
    I know there were a couple of recent threads that have some recommendations in them. For a weightlifting shoe for powerlifting, I know the heel shouldn't be too high. Mine are .75in and that seems good for squatting. I do not deadlift in them though. DL slippers would be better for that. A flat shoe like Chucks aren't bad either.

For weightlifting, I read that some people like even higher heels. I don't know much about it though, since I don't do those lifts. I'm sure someone who does competitive weightlifting can comment.

As for Chucks, shoes like those are used by people who do wide stance squatting too. Guys in multi-ply can squat over 1200 in them. They are not bad for that. For me personally, it was harder for to hit depth in my narrower stance using the Chucks. The Pendlay shoes I got help with that. I would not do wide squats w/ gear in them. It really depends what kind of squats you are doing.

When I was looking for shoes recently, I read a little about the Adidas PL trainers. A lot of people liked them. The only negative review I saw is that someone felt they were not as solid as normal WL shoes, since they have a rubber sole and not a wooden one.

The only weight lifting shoe I've used so far is the Adidas Power Lifter, but I've been really happy with them so far. I wear them for all the lifts (squat, dead, press, bench, power cleans, and snatches). I've also worn them for some kettlebell work. I have no experience with Chucks. I have trained in running shoes, work boots, some Magnum combat boots, and in socks. I doubt that I would ever train again in running shoes even if I was being paid to do so. The boots weren't too bad. I actually liked the feel of training in socks (especially with deadlifts), but it was really starting to cause what I believe was plantar fascitis. Overall, I think the Adidas are fine shoes and worth the $90.00.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    No. What you’ve probably heard is that Chucks are a better option than sneakers/trainers with big, fluffy, cushy soles. This does not mean that Chucks are at all similar to weightlifting shoes, even if it would be very convenient for you if it did mean this.
    Are they a must for power cleans or can I stick to my chucks for cleans(and just work hard)?

starting strength coach development program
    They are not a must for power cleans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast