starting strength gym

Thread: Did I miss the sarcasm?

Default Did I miss the sarcasm?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It seems I missed the sarcasm the first time around. Was Rip mocking me for mentioning the word "EASY"?

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=27436

Just curious. What I meant is that it takes less time to adjust.

Rip was mocking you for being lazy and for asking a dumb question.

Rip was mocking you ... because, well it seems that that's just the way he is. So when asking a question you never know whether he'll actually answer you or make fun of you. Overall though it's more good than bad so here we all are.

Anyway... the issue is the whole stretch reflex thing. Rip says it is good at building muscle/strength and goes on at length about it in the squat section and then mentions it somewhat in the press section. Of course DLs are done with no stretch reflex and they work just fine. If you do the BP from the bottom... no stretch reflex which means slower progress, but that's about it. On the positive side, you would be less likely to kill yourself since the safeties are already in place at a good height. Another argument against it is that it's "weird". If you ever work out on a normal bench you won't be used to it.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 11-09-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: different tone.

Rip was indeed facepalming.

But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with idiosyncratic experimentation. There is no reason you wont progress at dead stops and develop strength, it will just be different to what you would get with a stretch reflex.

I suggest you reset the uprights every time you switch from Squat to BP.

This dead stop way of benching, it is not a bench press, it is a partial movemovement; these can be useful, but can never supplant then main movement.

So stop been lazy.

I reset the uprights whenever i switch from squat to BP, it takes about 25 seconds. Rip was definitely being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Anyway... the issue is the whole stretch reflex thing.
    I was thinking may be I can do only the first rep from the bottom and the rest from the top. This way I use the stretch reflex on most reps

Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post
    So stop been lazy.
    Not being lazy. Aside from the time it takes to change the uprights (for some reason one of them is so difficult to move), the safety bar are wider and thus easier to catch the bar. This will make it easier to take reps to failure and have better feeling about safety.

Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    I was thinking may be I can do only the first rep from the bottom and the rest from the top. This way I use the stretch reflex on most reps
    Hmm... yes you could. I have no idea why i didn't think of that since that is exactly how SS2 vertical presses are done.

Not being lazy. Aside from the time it takes to change the uprights (for some reason one of them is so difficult to move), the safety bar are wider and thus easier to catch the bar. This will make it easier to take reps to failure and have better feeling about safety.
    mmm... this phrasing makes me concerned. Yes it's true but don't get carried away. Remember that if you have the rails set such that you can do a full ROM bench press it means that your head is still in harm's way. Sliding on and off the bench is also going to be kind of strange, and, actually, now that i think more about it some more... your first rep is going to be a bit strange since, if the bar is on the rails it will necessarily be higher up on your chest. It will also be possibly difficult to set your shoulders and back correctly before you start. Still... it sounds like it has some potential.

I'd be interested in hearing if other people think there are deal breakers about this approach...

(oh, and some strategic application of 3-in-1 will likely make your squat stands more friendly)

starting strength coach development program
    you are just lazy damnit.

although, I do these from time to time:

Bring your Bench Press Alive with the Dead Bench