starting strength gym

Thread: Tibial Tuberosity pain, should I squat today?

Default Tibial Tuberosity pain, should I squat today?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hurt my tibial tuberosity last Wednesday squatting and haven't squatted since; pain would come on again when putting some pressure walking until Friday and has been pain free since. However, I just got done playing some football at the park and now it hurts when I do air squats, pain isn't too bad but is still there. Today is heavy squatting, in your opinion should I squat or not?

Thanks.

Warm ups will tell you what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Warm ups will tell you what to do.
    Yeah, I decided not to do it because it was already irritated and I don't want to mess it up more.
    By the way, it is possible to just injure the Tibial Tuberosity with a form tweak right? I'm thinking my knee shot forward too much and I leaned forward too much pushing off the front of my foot. Because I don't think it's Osgood–Schlatter disease or Patellar tendinitis.

How old are you, and is there a bump on the front of the tuberosity?

How old are you, and is there a bump on the front of the tuberosity?
    20, and yes there are small bumps on both sides. But the pain is only on one side and it occurred while squatting (high bar).

You probably have a small case of OSD. You'd better figure out how to stay out of your knees when you squat.

You probably have a small case of OSD. You'd better figure out how to stay out of your knees when you squat.
    Really... That's crazy, I've never had any problems with it before and I've played a lot of sports and done a lot of squatting with no problems.. just one bad rep did it.

What do you mean by "stay out of your knees"?

I never got diagnosed with OSD, but I have a gnarly bump on my tibial tuberosity and a thick (inflamed?) patellar tendon, so I have some idea of whats happening with my knees. I use a wider-than-I'd-like stance, knees way out, butt way back and Tommy Kono knee bands. If things are really bad some vitimin I helps. Kneeling and reckless jumping/running are out of the question, so is sitting with my knee bent for more than a few minutes (makes hunting from a tree stand tricky). My knees feel better when I squat regularly. Any idea why this is, Rip? Some pliable ice packs are good to have and work wonders for such a simple remedy.

starting strength coach development program
    Most people with chronic knee pain that don't squat report that the pain is much better after they started squatting. Specific mechanisms elude me, but it is pleasing ideologically.