starting strength gym

Thread: Improving distance running in the short term

Default Improving distance running in the short term

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, question for you. 4 weeks from today, I will be going through a mock "hell week" where sleep will be very limited (food as well, I believe), and I will be challenged both mentally and physically. Unfortunately, distance running will be a part of this. I fucking hate distance running (partially because I suck at it, partially because it is useless), but there will be daily runs during the week, which I'm guessing will last 20-30 minutes. I'm sure I will lose a decent amount of weight (both fat and muscle mass) during that week, especially because protein intake will be minimal, so I definitely don't want to "cut" beforehand. There is no way around this week for me.

Anyway, I know running is obviously not your specialty, but how would you suggest that I go about effectively preparing for this week? I was thinking of using the same lifting plan (with the additional of 20-30 min. runs ~3 times per week) while upping my calories/protein by a good amount over the next 4 weeks (since I will inevitably lose weight during the week). Sound reasonable?

Sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't start the running until two weeks out. That's enough time to get in condition for it, without interfering with your primary goal of gaining weight between now and then. I'd really up my fat intake to get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't start the running until two weeks out. That's enough time to get in condition for it, without interfering with your primary goal of gaining weight between now and then. I'd really up my fat intake to get this done.
    Thanks Coach, I appreciate the response. I plan to up all the macros, but when you mention fats, do you mean specifically during the 2 weeks that I run, or beforehand, or both? I figured the fats/overall cals would be crucial due to all the stress I'll be putting on my body during those weeks, while the carbs will be necessary to fuel all the workouts, and the protein will be necessary for obvious reasons. Does 3 times / week sound good for those 2 weeks, or maybe 3 times the first week and 5 times the second week (someone advised me to increase my running volume instead of jumping right into it)?

You want to go into this thing in shape and fat. Eat the fat starting now. Overtraining doesn't sound like a good way to prepare for what will probably be overtraining anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    Hey Rip, question for you. 4 weeks from today, I will be going through a mock "hell week" where sleep will be very limited (food as well, I believe), and I will be challenged both mentally and physically. Unfortunately, distance running will be a part of this. I fucking hate distance running (partially because I suck at it, partially because it is useless), but there will be daily runs during the week, which I'm guessing will last 20-30 minutes. I'm sure I will lose a decent amount of weight (both fat and muscle mass) during that week, especially because protein intake will be minimal, so I definitely don't want to "cut" beforehand. There is no way around this week for me.

Anyway, I know running is obviously not your specialty, but how would you suggest that I go about effectively preparing for this week? I was thinking of using the same lifting plan (with the additional of 20-30 min. runs ~3 times per week) while upping my calories/protein by a good amount over the next 4 weeks (since I will inevitably lose weight during the week). Sound reasonable?
    Are you going through BUD/S? I have went through the training a few years back, graduated BUD/S and then busted up my shoulder during SQT. Anyway, Rip is dead on, as usual, get fat! The added weight will help in many ways, keep you warm, give your body extra meat to keep you going....Good luck bro! It is fun as hell...at least now it is, a few years later, not at the time....

Quote Originally Posted by Minno5 View Post
    Are you going through BUD/S? I have went through the training a few years back, graduated BUD/S and then busted up my shoulder during SQT. Anyway, Rip is dead on, as usual, get fat! The added weight will help in many ways, keep you warm, give your body extra meat to keep you going....Good luck bro! It is fun as hell...at least now it is, a few years later, not at the time....

From a UK perspective. 20-30 minutes is not long distance but if that is the max time guess you be sprinting a little then. Not sure if you currently need speed or endurance based on your current fitness state. I done a similar course where we had (beat up weekend) day 1. 2.5hrs battle PT before breakfast. 20 Minute sprint before lunch, 10 Mile Bergen run after (45lbs, rifle and water) lunch in under 1.5hrs, next day on the hills 35km, Monday 2.5hrs PT then 1hr PM. To do that I put on over a stone and eat like a hippo. Also took isotonic drinks by the gallon during after each run etc. Only as it was easier to get the fluids in as cramp is a bugger. That is the diet. For you, if its max 30 minutes you do (CHECK!!!) Time your self for a 40min run alternating days and increase the distance each time but within 40 mins. You build up endurance and speed. 1 week out, light jogging 3 x week and eat, eat and more eat. Dont forget the mind is stronger than you think. Just keep running, at times you could have walked faster than I ran, but kept running, and as my Dad told me.. "Son you know when you cant go on anymore, its when you collapse of exhaustion." That is how you pass these fun courses. Good luck

@Minno5: Shit, I wish I could say I was going through BUD/S or anything honorable/badass like that. Not quite, though, and everyone will probably rip on me if I go into detail on it. I'm thinking about this way more than I should be, but whatever.

@GHK: Damn man, thanks for the elaborate response. I think I get the impression, haha.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    @Minno5: Shit, I wish I could say I was going through BUD/S or anything honorable/badass like that. Not quite, though, and everyone will probably rip on me if I go into detail on it. I'm thinking about this way more than I should be, but whatever.

@GHK: Damn man, thanks for the elaborate response. I think I get the impression, haha.
    If its not BUD/S then the 40min runs should get you through... and light jogging a week out.