starting strength gym

Thread: pain between shoulder and tricep from low-bar grip

Default pain between shoulder and tricep from low-bar grip

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

Been doing the program for a month now, squat went from 35kg to 82.5kg, other lifts went up accordingly.

I have had a little trouble taking a narrow-enough low-bar grip but I usually sort of force/stretch my arms into it. Four days ago I suddenly developed pain in the area between shoulder and tricep, both arms. It wasn't too bad, but after my squat sets yesterday the pain exploded. Couldn't even hold up my arms to film my GF's set, let alone bench. It diminished a few hours later but remains.

Also, the pain isn't constant. I might be fine going to sleep, but wake up a few hours later with a burning sensation in the described area. Throughout the day one arm can be fine and the other painful, and a few hours later they might reverse. Anyway, you get the idea.

Now I've been searching around reading all kinds of shit that can cause this pain from tight pecs to impinged nerves to rotator cuff injuries etc. and I'm kinda lost now.

Here is a vid of my squat if that's relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bdQj1Y2Knw
    As you see I'm already gripping the bar very wide, wider and the bar would slip off my back I feel.

Tomorrow is squat/press/dl, deadlifiting should be fine, squats are out I think; should I try to press? Maybe squat high-bar?

Any other thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Since there's not much area between shoulder and tricep, I'm not sure exactly where it hurts. Lots of things cause pain, not all of them serious or structural. Your grip is too wide, and this may be causing you to have to hold up the bar with active shoulder extension. Use the narrowest grip you can manage with straight wrists, as illustrated in my video.

How much bodyweight have you gained since you started?

BW went from ~60 to 67kg now. Attached is a pic with the exact painful location, sometimes it would 'trickle' down a little as per the arrow.

Based on your comment and watching the bar position vid again, it seems I have been lifting my elbows too much at the expense of grip narrowness, this is also why I'm a little bent-over in the squat top-position.

Tomorrow is squat/bp/pc, I'll fix my bar position and see if the presses give me any trouble. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stop doing your metcon shit and try to gain some actual weight. Okay?

That picture is not me, if that's what you thought. I don't do metcons.

Then keep on not doing metcon shit and gain some weight. I was looking at your squat video, and you look lighter than the guy in the tricep picture.

I was considering posting a picture of myself to pinpoint the spot, but I was afraid my massive muscular torso would intimidate you too much.

But serious, a BW increase of around 7-10kg's in the first month is normal if you do the program, right?

starting strength coach development program
    132 to 148 is a good start.