starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming the Snatch

Default Programming the Snatch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm finally going to learn the snatch but I don't know how to program it. Here's the program I'm following now. Would you change it all up, or fit it in somewhere?

1) Squats (volume), press alt/w bench, deads, chins alt/w dips
    2) rest
    3) bench alt/w press, chins alt/w dips, conditioning
    4) rest
    5) Squats (intensity), press alt/w bench, power cleans

I figure I'll start with my wife's 10kg bar.
    What say you?

Cue Carlos for snatch joke.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 02-10-2012 at 11:07 PM.

If you're only snatching 10Kg and building from there, I would warm up every day with it. When it starts to become heavy (long time from now), you can pair it down to suit your goals/needs.

We often warm up with light snatches, and in your case, all snatches are light for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    If you're only snatching 10Kg and building from there, I would warm up every day with it. When it starts to become heavy (long time from now), you can pair it down to suit your goals/needs.

We often warm up with light snatches, and in your case, all snatches are light for some time.
    Thanks.
    Sounds good. I've had the bar lying on the living room floor since I got it and every time I walk by it I want to try to snatch. The dogs have started to run away when i pick it up.
    I'm not sure I'd be trying this with a 20kg bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Thanks.
    Sounds good. I've had the bar lying on the living room floor since I got it and every time I walk by it I want to try to snatch. The dogs have started to run away when i pick it up.
    I'm not sure I'd be trying this with a 20kg bar.
    You brought up the weight, I will respond. Assuming you are an average size adult male, I believe the 20Kg bar is a better choice. 10Kg bar is not really going to train anything, I suspect.

You brought up the weight, I will respond. Assuming you are an average size adult male, I believe the 20Kg bar is a better choice. 10Kg bar is not really going to train anything, I suspect.
    Why do you want to interfere with my comfortable, woosified life?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Why do you want to interfere with my comfortable, woosified life?
    Because if I'm interfering with yours, I don't have to put any effort into mine!

I like the suggestion of warming up with them every day. When they start to get really heavy, I'd either put them on Recovery Day (Marotta used to do that back when he still posted here), or alternate them with power cleans.

Hey do any of you guys take your own bars to the gym? I have a setup in the garage that I haven't been using because it's pretty cold (take notes on woosiness). My wife will eventually need that bar when she gets started again.

When we took ladies bars to the gym for Gillian we simply put it in the car. It was in the car diagonal, it came from between the two front seats from the passenger floor, crossing behind the driver, to the top of the passenger padding in the back behind the driver.

Now I have a $135 convective kerosene heater that we use to heat the garage. Bars remain warm because we keep them inside the house, and take them outside to the garage to lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Now I have a $135 convective kerosene heater that we use to heat the garage. Bars remain warm because we keep them inside the house, and take them outside to the garage to lift.
    This......

Is smart. Me like.

-Hat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast