starting strength gym

Thread: A Word of Thanks and a Mouth Guard Survey

Default A Word of Thanks and a Mouth Guard Survey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just finished having a coaching session with an experienced powerlifter, and to my surprise, he said my technique is very good. He made a few minor adjustments, but nothing major. My good technique all comes from reading books and online articles, and watching videos.

The largest parts of this has been the Starting Strength book, DVD and forum; and, Elite FTS articles and videos. Looking back, my biggest improvements in bench press were just after reading Starting Strength and watching the DVD. The only adjustment made on my bench press today was not placing my feet quite as wide apart.

The form check videos on this forum have been very educational. I read the criticisms and then watch the videos. Very helpful.

So I just wanted to give a word of thanks to Rip and everyone on this forum. I guess I should also give a word of thanks to Dave Tate and everyone at Elite FTS as well, not only was their information helpful, but that's where I heard about Rip and Starting Strength.

One of the suggestions he made today was to get a mouth guard, as I'm clenching my teeth and could potentially break one. I don't know about you, but putting something in and out of my mouth after touching a bar that everyones grabbed with their filthy hands seems very disgusting to me. I have a properly designed water bottle that allows me to open and close it without any danger ever of touching my hands to where my lips go.

I'm thinking of just trying to be conscious of not clenching when I lift. Does anyone on this forum use a mouth guard? If so, how do you get it in and out of your mouth without touching it with your hands?

I don't use a mouthguard, but a good number of the football style mouthguards have semi-rigid straps to attach them to the faceguard (like this). It would make it easy to put in and take out without touching the part that goes in your mouth.

I don't use a mouth guard, but you can just get a wash cloth or a rag and always make sure your hand touches one side only, and fold the other side around the mouth guard. When you are done, fold it again where the mouth guard side doesn't touch anything in the gym.

Chalk your hands before touching it. The chalk will be a barrier between the mouth guard and your grimey mitts.

Same if your shins bleed and you don't want to get blood on the bar. Just rub some chalk in there.

Chalk is magical.

I've used a mouth guard since the beginning, and I've been happy with it.

I'm also in a home gym so the only grubby hands to worry about are my own.

Keeping it in a jar of vodka would probably keep it sterile.

..mf

A couple of weeks ago i was looking into this. For now i've decided to try not to clench because an article i read on-line pointed out that you don't want to train yourself to clench your teeth under the bard because that will probably make you clench your teeth more in other stressful situations. (not sure how much i believe that, but since i'm not lifting massive weights i decided to just try not to clench my teeth)

ANYWAY, one (or maybe 2) guards i saw at the store also came with a "popsicle stick" attachment in addition to the strap. it would be useful in this case.

http://www.amazon.com/UNDER-ARMOUR-A...374819&sr=8-32

I haven't used one, but I ground out one of my goddamned fillings during a squat workout, and my dentist thinks I should start wearing it. Fucking dentists

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    you don't want to train yourself to clench your teeth under the bard because that will probably make you clench your teeth more in other stressful situations
    I would suggest that it IS something you want to train yourself to do, but it's a personal decision.

..mf