starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Well Ahead of Squat?

Default Deadlift Well Ahead of Squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I recently bought Starting Strength and the Starting Strength DVD. Both are fantastic - the DVD is invaluable for me for learing deadlifting and the power clean, both of which I have really never done.

I have a question from the Programming section of the book. It says that a novice should follow the basic Squat/Press (alt. Bench or Military)/Deadlift schedule until the deadlift is established well ahead of the squat. Can you please explain what you have in mind in terms of the deadlift being well ahead of the squat (e.g. 20% greater, 50% greater,etc.)?

I am just getting back into strength training after a long time and would appreciate your insight even though I know this may seem like a very elementary question to you and the other members on the site. Thank you very much.

The deadlift almost always starts out heavier than the squat. The first workout sometimes allows the deadlift to stay lighter, since we're trying to avoid excessive soreness for a novice. The deadlift will be established ahead of the squat by the 3rd workout, and the percentages will vary with the individual.