starting strength gym

Thread: Press, Squat, Deadlift Check Please

Default Press, Squat, Deadlift Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys, this first time doing these lifts in years. A few years ago I did Stronglifts 5x5 (which changed to 3x5 halfway through, so it turned into SS) for about a year. But after I stopped, I haven't listed since then. 'Til today! So I'm somewhat of an experienced, but very rusty novice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJyeAHcQmJs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpPvak831zI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxlmyZe_1Q

My own insight is:

Press: Not going straight up and down. Not sure why, though. Am I not leaning back far enough at the start? Or am I not pushing forward enough under the bar? Or should I just try to get it closer to my face?

Squat: Seems okay.

DL: Inconsistent. Need to work on keeping my butt out, keeping my upper and lower back tight. And on the way down, I might be unlocking my knees too early, or else for some other reason the bar is going over my knees instead of going straight down.

Thanks in advance!

Your insight is more or less correct. Overall you seem to lack a sense of tightness in all of your movement.

On the press, aim for your nose on the way up and on the way down. You will likely move your face out of the way, if you don't we tend to only make that mistake once.

Squat: Not bad, decent job with the knees, but again, you're lacking tightness overall.

Deadlift: Same.

You stated you did strong lifts a few years ago, and changed to SS half way through and that this took about a year. I'm not sure you properly did the program given you size/height/weight.

I would recommend a complete reset...start the SS program, EAT, drink your milk, and get tight for ever lift. LP work for some time for you.

Come under your press as soon as it passes your head. It will make all the difference during sets at heavier weights.

Thanks guys! I did brush my nose once yesterday, and it actually felt good. I will aim for that again.

And will remember to keep tight. Like a virgin.

You stated you did strong lifts a few years ago, and changed to SS half way through and that this took about a year. I'm not sure you properly did the program given you size/height/weight.

I would recommend a complete reset...start the SS program, EAT, drink your milk, and get tight for ever lift. LP work for some time for you.
    What happened was I actually lost a bunch of weight after the program because I went backpacking for two months. Like 20 pounds!

Yesterday actually was a complete reset, based on SS protocols (115 lb Squat, 65 lb Press, 135 lb DL, is that still too high?). Before I weighed about 155 lbs, with ~205 lb Squat, ~260 DL, forget my Press. Admittedly my form used to be even shittier because I hadn't read SS until recently.
    Last edited by mangoose; 05-14-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Jsutt Guest

Ouch, 20lb off has to be discouraging. Deadlifts actually look really good to me, but then that's a pretty low weight. I think you should start moving it up quickly and post again when you start to have more form problems.

starting strength coach development program
    Gotcha, will post new videos after a week or a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Today I was reading the wikia and saw the "curling your toes up" suggestion for doing squats. Oh MAN was that a perfect suggestion. Did that at the gym today and I felt perfectly balanced on my midfoot.