starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: fleurmonstre's log (it's better than bad, it's good)

Default fleurmonstre's log (it's better than bad, it's good)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello out there. Here begins my Starting Strength training log.

I'm a 30-year-old woman, 5'2", 123 lbs, and I've been lifting for six months. Thanks for the peeks, follows, comments, etc.!

- - - - -

My history:

On Jan. 12, 2012, I starting StrongLifts 5x5 with the empty bar as a complete novice to anything athletic save for yoga and taking the dog on hearty hikes. I didn't add weight every workout, but every 3-4 workouts, probably because I wasn't eating enough/didn't trust myself without a proper rack. But I still enjoyed progression and built strength up to these work sets of the primary exercises: 95 lb squat, 72 lb bench, 145 lb deadlift, 60 lb press, 2 unassisted pullups.

On Apr. 11, I bought the Starting Strength book and delved into the forums, deloading so I could make form adjustments. I had been having trouble with blood sugar and weakness while lifting, posting about it here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=31243 I've been eating more calories and more carbs around the workout which seems to work. (A blood test does show my blood sugar running slightly lower than normal on a regular basis.)

On Jun. 18, I had the great fortune of meeting with Sullydog for a consultation—my first real experience with outside help. I'm truly grateful, and excited to learn and progress with his guidance!

Finally, it's Jun. 24 and I have a new squat rack in pieces in the basement, ready to be assembled.

- - - - -

Update 12/10/2012 Shifted from SS to 5/3/1
    Last edited by fleurmonstre; 12-29-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: programming update

Squat
    45x5x2
    55x3
    65x2
    70x2
    80x3x3

Videos of squat work sets:
    http://youtu.be/Z_cjOwEGkcU
    http://youtu.be/OZBOQSeCE7o
    http://youtu.be/8FawCI8TxgI

The primary squat form issue that I'm working on is keeping my knees from tracking too far forward (giving me a very low squat, but with little hamstring/glute activation). Also, not letting my chest dip down while in the hole.

Bench
    45x5x2
    55x3
    65x3
    70x3x3

Chin up
    1, rest 3 min
    1, rest 3 min

Pullup, assisted

Now, a shake and squat rack assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurmonstre View Post
    Squat
    45x5x2
    55x3
    65x2
    70x2
    80x3x3

Videos of squat work sets:
    http://youtu.be/Z_cjOwEGkcU
    http://youtu.be/OZBOQSeCE7o
    http://youtu.be/8FawCI8TxgI

The primary squat form issue that I'm working on is keeping my knees from tracking too far forward (giving me a very low squat, but with little hamstring/glute activation). Also, not letting my chest dip down while in the hole.

Bench
    45x5x2
    55x3
    65x3
    70x3x3

Chin up
    1, rest 3 min
    1, rest 3 min

Pullup, assisted

Now, a shake and squat rack assembly.
    Welcome, and good luck. Are you likely to be talking to Sully again?

I'd raise the rack you are using at least one and possibly more holes, but the new rack probably makes that unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    Welcome, and good luck. Are you likely to be talking to Sully again?

I'd raise the rack you are using at least one and possibly more holes, but the new rack probably makes that unnecessary.
    Thanks! Yes, I hope to see Sully at least a couple more times. And I can definitely raise my unrack position in the new rack.

Fleur, I'm glad you took my advice and started a log here. There are a lot of great people on this board, many with keener eyes than I. It's a huge resource.

What I'm seeing is a lot of improvement. Your knees aren't sliding forward all the way to Canadia anymore, and you've managed to recalibrate to this correction and get your depth back. I see a LOT more hip drive than previously.

You still have some lumbar flexion in the hole. Tighten your gut and focus on lumbar extension at the bottom. You could also cut the depth off just a hair. As long as your hips drop below parallel, the rep is good--you don't need to get extra depth at the expense of lumbar flexion.

Your chest is much better, but your back angle still looks a just a tad flat to me. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about it. This will require assiduous attention going forward. Don't let your back angle change in the hole.

Finally: eyeballs. Work on your gaze. This has much more powerful benefits than one would think. Fix your gaze at the top and keep it there. You will recall that this was salutary for your deadlift as well.

Also, agree with Slowjoe on the hooks--they're a little low. As you approach the bar for the squat (and the press) it should be at the middle of your sternum; presently your setting looks like its at the xiphoid/epigastrium. Congrats on the new Sumo rack. Mine has served me well.

Nice work. Time to add some weight to bar. You've got some posterior chain in the movement now, and you should be back to 100+ in no time.
    Last edited by Jonathon Sullivan; 06-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Fleur, I'm glad you took my advice and started a log here. There are a lot of great people on this board, many with keener eyes than I. It's a huge resource.

What I'm seeing is a lot of improvement. Your knees aren't sliding forward all the way to Canadia anymore, and you've managed to recalibrate to this correction and get your depth back. I see a LOT more hip drive than previously.

You still have some lumbar flexion in the hole. Tighten your gut and focus on lumbar extension at the bottom. You could also cut the depth off just a hair. As long as your hips drop below parallel, the rep is good--you don't need to get extra depth at the expense of lumbar flexion.

Your chest is much better, but your back angle still looks a just a tad flat to me. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about it. This will require assiduous attention going forward. Don't let your back angle change in the hole.

Finally: eyeballs. Work on your gaze. This has much more powerful benefits than one would think. Fix your gaze at the top and keep it there. You will recall that this was salutary for your deadlift as well.

Also, agree with Slowjoe on the hooks--they're a little low. As you approach the bar for the squat (and the press) it should be at the middle of your sternum; presently your setting looks like its at the xiphoid/epigastrium. Congrats on the new Sumo rack. Mine has served me well.

Nice work. Time to add some weight to bar. You've got some posterior chain in the movement now, and you should be back to 100+ in no time.
    Thanks, Sully! I see what you mean about lumbar flexion in the hole. I'll read these comments again before my next workout so it's all top of mind. Have fun in Chicago, and HB!

Squat
    45x5x2
    60x3
    75x2
    85x3x3

Squats felt solid. I have video but can't post tonight.

Press
    45x5x2
    50x3x2
    50x5x1

I tried the hip thrust and almost fell backward. Sully, I'll have to ask for press pointers next time. It feels fine otherwise.

Dead
    115x5

I'm loving the cues. This was fun.

- - - - -

I assembled the rack about 2/3 on Sunday, but the package was missing some bolts, which should arrive tomorrow. Glad I worked out tonight anyway; watching Olympic trials was pretty inspiring and got me in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurmonstre View Post
    I tried the hip thrust and almost fell backward. Sully, I'll have to ask for press pointers next time. It feels fine otherwise.
    Bringing the Active Hip concept into the press is tricky and weird at first, but once it's burned in it'll be a revelation. We'll work on it.

Squat
    45x5x2
    60x3
    70x2
    80x2
    90x3
    90x3 http://youtu.be/U6Oetv_SG98 (back seems too flat)
    90x3 http://youtu.be/dNJAA1dH0w4 (better)

90 felt really tough, probably because I'm one week from my period today. (Yes, I'll mention the existence of my period in this log.) I felt shakey and tired. But, I ate some raw honey between sets and took a few extra minutes of rest and was able to do my 3x3. Not descending too deep and keeping my knees back feels much more stable at 90 then it was the last time I was here.

Bolts finally arrived for the rack and I have to get the thing completed. Sunday is the day.

Bench
    45x5x2
    55x3
    65x2
    75x3x3

Pullup/Chinup
    I have to dress for a friend's birthday dinner, but I'll do a few of these later tonight. Negroni-fueled chinups sound pretty fun.
    Edit: 2 sets of 4 assisted pullups
    Last edited by fleurmonstre; 06-29-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: + pullups

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    45x5x2
    60x4
    70x2
    80x2
    95x3x3

On the third set especially, I noticed my knees were back on the first rep, but crept forward as I got super tired and knew I was almost done. Video: http://youtu.be/uo08mekmOh0
    I need to remember to keep my gut tight! Having a squat rack totally rocks; I'm so glad I made the investment. My basement walls are gross, sorry. It's a rental!

Press
    45x5x2
    50x2
    55x3x3

Dead
    125x5x1

This was very difficult, but I did it. I had to take 5-6 good breaths between reps. Have to consult back with the book to see if that "counts" as one set (rather than 5 sets of 1 rep) or if it even matters.

It's so damn hot. Milk was a bad choice.

Looking forward to seeing Sully again in a few days and meeting more of his crew.
    Last edited by fleurmonstre; 07-02-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: + video

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast