Thread: Squat check - Rebooting the program

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Default Squat check - Rebooting the program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wise counsel, I beseech thee...

Had to restart almost from scratch after way too long of a layoff. This is 260x5, third set.

I apologize in advance for not being able to capture my feet...that area of the room is very awkwardly shaped, and I've found it very difficult to get a whole-body shot without being obstructed by equipment/people getting a drink. Just trust me that my toes are out about 30 degrees.

My concerns:
    (1) Knees seem to move forward a little on some reps. I think that movement is within the bounds of acceptability, but I'd like someone else's opinion.

(2) Head is moving up a little in the last three reps, though I promise I was still looking down at my favorite spot when I did so. Bad habit that I'll have to work on. But I don't think it's severe enough to interfere with my hip drive. Am I being delusional in my appraisal?

(3) Anything you can see that I can/should work on? I'm upping the weight each session, but correcting things as I go. Last session I had trouble getting my knees forward early on...I think I fixed that problem in this set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcb4dmiL60

- 1983 called and they want their song back.

- It's not serious enough to be a problem but you're flexing your (mid?) back at the bottom. Not a lot, but you don't have that rock solid, same shape throughout thing going on. If you've been doing ss for a while and this isn't your max then you can prob control that w/ pushing your knees out and/or just keeping your back tighter. Something to consider.

don't really have a statement on your other points.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    - 1983 called and they want their song back.

- It's not serious enough to be a problem but you're flexing your (mid?) back at the bottom. Not a lot, but you don't have that rock solid, same shape throughout thing going on. If you've been doing ss for a while and this isn't your max then you can prob control that w/ pushing your knees out and/or just keeping your back tighter. Something to consider.

don't really have a statement on your other points.
    I know, the music sucks ass there--and that was some of the better stuff they've played. Fortunately after I moved to the press, some dude got fed up and brought in an 80's style boombox with modern hip hop (still crap, but much better).

I see what you're saying there on the back. I'm not sure how much of it is due to a ridiculous lordotic curve I have (was the subject of much amusement/challenge at the WF seminar) and how much is an actual flexing...but maybe a little harder chest up will fix that. Worth a try, anyways. Good catch--thanks!