starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calibrating plates that are too heavy

Default Calibrating plates that are too heavy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just scored a good deal on 24 old York 45s but the weight of each plate varies quite a bit. Very few of them are actually underweight, but a lot of them are like 46.5 to 46.7 pounds.

I was thinking about removing some material to bring them down a little bit but was unsure of the best way to do it. Right now I'm thinking just drill into (but not through) the plates in a bunch of places to take out some of the material.

Ever bothered to do anything like this and maybe have a better approach?

The light plates cannot be fixed, obviously. But the heavy plates can be drilled. Make the holes symmetrically, use a 1/2 inch drill after making a smaller pilot hole, weigh them as you go.

Use tap magic and a 1/4 pilot bit and you can save a bunch on bits. Trust me I do a lot of drilling and tapping in steel/iron. Will save your wrist a bunch when you hit it with the 1/2 inch bit if your using a hand drill and stop the bit from heating up and destroying the cutting edge. Bits get real expensive. Experienced industrial electrician here but take it for what it's worth

Yes, cast iron is hard on tool steel.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    I just scored a good deal on 24 old York 45s but the weight of each plate varies quite a bit. Very few of them are actually underweight, but a lot of them are like 46.5 to 46.7 pounds.

I was thinking about removing some material to bring them down a little bit but was unsure of the best way to do it. Right now I'm thinking just drill into (but not through) the plates in a bunch of places to take out some of the material.

Ever bothered to do anything like this and maybe have a better approach?
    Have you ever thought about using fractional plates to make up discrepancies side to side?

If it was me i would just mark the plates and bring a calculator and 2" washers but I almost failed wood shop in middle school

Thanks Rip, glad to know drilling them out isn't a stupid idea.

There is no chance in hell I am using fractional plates and calculators to figure out what weight I am actually lifting, haha... I would very much rather just lift 458.7 and call it 455!

Hopefully I can find some time to drill them out this weekend, thanks again.

Make sure your scale is calibrated. Forgot about that, right?

Unfortunately I've only got a few different bathroom scales (less than ideal I know), so I'm going to have to find something that I know the weight of 100% and check to see how accurate they are and go from there. Ultimately I don't mind if they are a half pound to a pound out as long as they are all pretty similar in weight. Don't need to throw two 44s on one side of the bar and two 47s on the other side.

starting strength coach development program
    Try pairing them up. The 2 plates that are almost the same weight or closest to each other. That way, the bar will still be balanced. But if you're drilling them or shaving them, get an accurate scale. The digital ones in the supermarkets in my area are accurate to the gram, I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast