starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training in the heat

Default training in the heat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I realize that some people in the South might laugh at me, but the heat has thrown a wrench in my training occasionally this month. I know there's that Bill Starr article about training in the heat, and it gives a few tactics, but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for going about things when the thermometer goes over 100 during your training time and your gym isn't air-conditioned. My previous tactic has been to just say "shove it" whenever the temp is over 95, but I think it's better to have a way of dealing with things.

I bring this up because I'm supposed to train on Monday and the projected high is 102. Tuesday's high is maybe 93, but I've been training relatively sparsely, so I'm trying to think of ways to go ahead with it.

So I'm considering, in addition to "stay cool" tactics, methods of altering training, so I'm perhaps specifically asking for feedback about ways to modify programming to deal with sporadic dangerously-hot days.

My current thought is to just do one working set of everything to try to get in and out relatively quickly while still being productive - like a heavy set of five or something. Or even medium if the heat drains my strength - then the workout is just a wash, but better than dying or resting.

I assume you are training in your own garage...

Here is what helps me:

1. A large, powerful fan. I use a Patton that I bought at Home Depot about 10 years ago. It can move some serious air.
    2. Programming - for me, focusing on two or three exercises at most works well. I have been doing a higher rep routine this summer, but it also worked last summer as well. Longer rest times between sets, but not much other than that.
    3. Enough cold water to last the workout - 2L is typically a good number.
    4. Sweat rags - drying your face off can help concentration.
    5. A lot of chalk.

Hope this helps.

ian

I'm in a black iron gym that's in a basement. The basement location keeps it cooler than outdoors, but it gets very damp down there. They have nice fans and a chilled drinking fountain, so that does help.

Thanks for the programming advices, sounds about right to m.e

My Gym is in my garage and it's been 100+ for aver 3 weeks. The heat sucks !!
    I would much rather workout when it's 20 degrees than deal with the heat.

Word. The body's heating and cooling systems are extremely sophisticated and efficient. However, they don't deal as well with heat as they do with cold.

If you're not against it, you could always train at night, I've been doing that lately, so the temperature is closer to 75-80 rather than 95-100.

Or get up really early and train.
    Last edited by Tehmedic101; 07-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Before work is plausible, but evenings don't work well. Gym closes at 9 and the temp typically stays in the 90s for quite some time. I'm pretty much wedded to going straight from work to the gym, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Before work is plausible, but evenings don't work well. Gym closes at 9 and the temp typically stays in the 90s for quite some time. I'm pretty much wedded to going straight from work to the gym, too.
    My gym is the same way. The past few weeks have been tough. Just try to stand in front of the fan a lot, and drink plenty of fluid.

Cold water is the best thing I've found. I remember in May I was on vacation and got the chance to train at Elite Strength and Conditioning in Tampa, Florida and it was so fucking hot in there that I accomplished nothing. Best gym I've ever been to in my life and I struggled to squat 315 for a triple when I've done it for 20 just weeks before. Mostly because I was too stupid to bring a bunch of water with me. I ended up leaving after a couple sets and didn't even get to play with all the cool toys I hoped to check out because I thought I was dying.

Training in the heat fucking sucks.

starting strength coach development program
    I lift in my unconditioned garage and it has been over 90 and near 100 most days for the last month. I just sack up and do my workouts. Though I work in the heat for the most part doing commercial HVAC installation, so that might not be so easy for someone not used to the heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast