starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macow - Military Press as main lift?

Default Macow - Military Press as main lift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Normal madcow has bench M/F and military W. Would switching them be allowed?
    If it is, would it be a better idea to include the vertical pulling on the military days and the rows on the bench day? (same planar direction)

Reason why I want to switch-
    My bench and chest overpowers everything. I would like to put more focus onto something that actually needs it, like military press. I'm not in dire need to increase the bench and it's not a primary focus of mine b/c it's already high. It causes horrible ratios compared to other lifts and having a stronger chest than back causes posture imbalances. Besides, OHP is better for the shoulders than benching. My main focus is bodybuilding so it also will benefit in this aspect. I want to bring up my delts relative to my chest and this seems like a great way to do it. Being stronger on Military press will eventually lead to better hypertrophy gains b/c I'll be able to lift more weight for say, 8 reps. I've seen a few posts around that say it's ok, but there isn't a ton of info on this.

Background on me-
    5'9" 159lbs morning weight.
    3 years 2 months lifting weights but did bodyweight exercises for 1 year 5 months prior to this.
    My lifting has always been bodybuilding oriented, but I feel like a strength routine in the offseason will be very beneficial to sort of build a better base. Numbers below are just estimates, they were also higher on the bulk.
    290 squat :'(
    300 bench
    370 deadlift
    Scroll to the bottom to see what I look like now-
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Th...n=progresspics

THANKS

Dude, abs on a skinny kid are like big tits on a fat girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What does that have to do w/ my question?

and it's not like I want to be this size. I'm obviously trying to get bigger. If I was big under your standards, which I was while bulking, my body fat wouldn't be low, and everyone would just think I'm fat. I wouldn't exactly call it 'skinny' though. Skinny kids can't do 4 plate dips. Also, most people here are concerned w/ strength, what does that have to do w/ the size of a person?

Speaking of big tits on a fat girl - -that reminds me of my standards years ago - -before my beautiful wife and 6 kids - - - - I had what I called the "hula hoop test" . . .What is the hula hoop test? I would woo and make amore with any woman - -no matter what the size - -as long as if I were to drop a hula hoop from above her head and it caught on her tits and not her gut . . . it proved to make for some wild rides . . cause there are some big lumberjack and corn fed girls across this great country of ours - - and me always being a big boy myself . . very seldom was stag . . hubba hubba . . .(she wouldn't have passed though).

OP - forget the abs - -get big and strong - -women love ya, men fear ya and it will put hair on your chest and back . . .

This is gonna be good.

Does Rip happen to know who 'Madcow' actually was?

big tits are big tits however you look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't like this analogy very much. Big tits on a fat girl are still pretty damn useful, but abs on a skinny kid are completely useless.

Wait. So your bench press is 10lbs over your squat and you want to increase your press?

And this makes sense to you?

starting strength coach development program
    Fuck you must have some skinny ass legs if you're only 160.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast