starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypertrophy?

Default Hypertrophy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe,

I know that in your book, the "hypertrophy" lifestyle ranks alongside the narcotic peddling and spouse swapping varieties.

BUt if someone asked you for the names of three bodybuilders you respect most- who would make it on your list?

I know it might bug you and a few others on this site- but i am curious. the BB'ers of old lifted some enormous poundages- there are pictures of Columbu and Schwazzenegger deadlifting close to 700 pounds and squatting some impressive weight too, which is in line with our philosophy here on starting strength.

Mark.

I liked Sandow, Grimek, and Reg Park. Sergio Oliva was a monster in his day. Suggs won a physique show in 1969, I think. Boyer Coe never had any abs, so he's cool too. Platz was a big squatter. Franco had a big deadlift.

I don't follow contemporary bodybuilding. I'm not going to approve a bunch of pictures on this thread that will enlighten me.

All the top bodybuilders lift enormous weight, not just the old timers. Ronnie Coleman squatted and deadlifted over 700lbs. He said, and I quote, "light weight baby. Ain't nuthin' but a peanut."

Nobody on an IFBB stage is going to be weak.

Johnnie Jackson competes in powerlifting and has some pretty good numbers.

Hey, hey. Nothing wrong with a little spouse swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurrin View Post
    Hey, hey. Nothing wrong with a little spouse swapping.
    I agree, but I don't know who you're talking about.

Stan Efferding was at one time the #1 ranked raw powerlifter in the world at 275lbs. I couldn't see anything on the powerlifting watch to see if he still was, but he's an IFBB pro.

I saw Sergio Oliva lifting in the Marina Towers Chicago Health Club a couple of times in the late 70's. He was 5'10" and "monster" describes him pretty well. He seemed nearly as wide and thick as he was tall.

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    Stan Efferding was at one time the #1 ranked raw powerlifter in the world at 275lbs. I couldn't see anything on the powerlifting watch to see if he still was, but he's an IFBB pro.
    Yep, came here to say this. 2226, belt only, at 275. He tore a hamstring on the last dead trying to beat Jon Cole's old record.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    Yep. 2226, belt only, at 275, in his forties. He's also a millionaire and by all accounts a pretty cool dude. Paul Carter did a good interview.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast