starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to finger the bar properly

Red face How to finger the bar properly

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I've reread the book and watched the video and searched through the Archives, but I still have a question. I notice in the Press chapter when you discuss the proper grip (i.e. Figure 3-10), it appears as though your fingers are not completely wrapped around the bar, rather they are positioned in a way so that the last digit of the finger is pressing into the bar directly above the forearm. I notice this in other figures as well (e.g. 3-12B) and various videos of the bench press (but not the SSDVD). Is my observation correct, that this finger position is intentional, or is it just because the fingers I'm seeing aren't able to wrap around the bar more? I have long fingers that when wrapped around the bar easily dig into the base of my palm, therefore I assume that if I'm gripping the bar incorrectly, it will make a big difference.

Thanks!

It is intentional. The bar is in compression, not tension.

So, place the fingers on top of the bar instead of wrapping them around? Interesting. I shall have to try this.

If you follow Rip's directions about palm placement, but finish by wrapping every bit of your fingers against the bar, you will mostly likely pull it right back into your fingers and ruin the set up. Instead, use your fingertips as clamps/vise grips to hold the bar in position.

I feel so dumb for not noticing it before

Honest, I'm trying to behave myself here, but maybe if the OP had said grip the bar instead of finger it, I might have had an entirely different first glance take on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Honest, I'm trying to behave myself here, but maybe if the OP had said grip the bar instead of finger it, I might have had an entirely different first glance take on this thread.
    My choice of words was intentional...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is intentional. The bar is in compression, not tension.
    Wouldn't the bar still be in compression if the fingers wrapped entirely around the bar? And regarding tension, does that mean that the concept of "spreading the bar" is not how you recommend bench-pressing, or is that a different concept entirely?

And thanks, I'll have to work on that!

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    I feel so dumb for not noticing it before
    I didn't notice the pressing grip technique in the 2nd edition of SSBBT, but caught it when I read the 3rd.
    It's quite noticably better even at my puny weights.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    So, place the fingers on top of the bar instead of wrapping them around? Interesting. I shall have to try this.
    I too thought wrapping the fingers around as much as possible was the recommended way!

Thanks jheald1 for asking this question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast