starting strength gym

Thread: First Low Bar Squat with video

Default First Low Bar Squat with video

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Guys-

As some may know, I recently posted a video of me doing a high bar squat. I attempted a low bar squat today and want to get any feedback you guys may have. Again, this is the first time I have low bar squatted so any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/49073555

Not bad. Don't go so deep. You are relaxing your back to get those extra few inches of depth. Point your toes out a little more and drive the knees out hard. Wrap your thumbs over the top of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Not bad. Don't go so deep. You are relaxing your back to get those extra few inches of depth. Point your toes out a little more and drive the knees out hard. Wrap your thumbs over the top of the bar.
    Tom, do you see the butt wink as relaxing of the back?

I've heard the term "butt wink" many times, but I'm not exactly sure what it is referring to. In this video here, where am I "butt winking"?

I know I probably am going to deep, but that's just what feels most natural. I will try to not go as deep and keep my back more flexed throughout and have a slightly wider stance and see what you guys think.

Buttwink is an awful word and is best not used. It has little meaning and it sounds awful.

Don't flex your back either. Keep it in normal extension.

Eugene Guest

LOL! Tom's just got Rip's back here so don't expect him to be terribly forthcoming about butt-winking.

Indeed, you are butt-winking. It's not extremely pronounced, but it's a problem.

So, what is a butt-wink? It's movement of the lumbar spine and pelvis throughout the rep. As you descend into the squat, you flex your lumbar spine (round/bend forward/make the joint angle smaller) and when you hit the bottom and come up, you extend (arch/bend backward/make the joint angle larger (the angle is measured on the front, otherwise this would be the reverse))

People will argue that experienced buttwinkers (i.e. people who can buttwink a good weight) aren't moving their spines, and sometimes it is hard to tell with a belt, teeshirt, and well developed spinal erectors. But, you definitely have trouble keeping your spine from wriggling around. You also stand between reps with your spine rounded, so the first inch or so of your descent you make the adjustment to fix this. Basically, you do a preparatory butt-wink before the real thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Will and I agree on what you are doing, if not the terminology used.