starting strength gym

Thread: How can I program two exercises per a workout session with three workouts per week

Default How can I program two exercises per a workout session with three workouts per week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Among Deadlift, Squat, Press and Bench Press. What is the right combination to do only 2 exercises per a workout session(in a day) with 3 workouts sessions per week?

I am presently following this:

1st Work Out Day: Deadlift, Bench Press

2nd WorkOut Day: Squat, Press

3rd WorkOut Day: Deadlift, Bench Press

There is no right combination. But

1. Squat, Press

2. Deadlift, Bench Press

3. Squat, Press

would be better.

Why not just alternate the Press and Bench every workout as per standard SS?

That's actually what I meant. And as long as we're sub-optimal, it doesn't matter that much.

Why not always do the OHP on the DL day? This makes that day less stressful since OHP will move less weight than BP.

ABA BAB workouts of SQ+BP and DL+OHP would have you DL 2x/week on every other week. Probably too much for most people. Better to have two SQ+BP days every week IMO.

But as long as we're thinking 2 exercises/day on 3x/week, why not add some exercises and make it cleaner?

Monday = front squat and overhead press
    Wednesday = power cleans and deadlifts
    Friday = squat and bench press

That way you at least get the big five, and the inclusion of FS with OHP makes Monday a "light day" so you are rotating intensities through exercise selection.

I'm trying this four day TM split over 3 days per week, so I would complete the cycle over 9 or 10 days (M-W-F-M to start with, then W-F-M-W)

1) Snatches, Squats (V), Bench/Press (light)
    2) Bench/Press (V), Pull-ups(V), Squats (light)
    3) Squats (I), DL, Bench/Press(light)
    4) Power Cleans, Bench/Press (I), Pull-ups(I), Squats (light)

I call it TM for Tired Old Guys and I can complete some of these in an hour or less, never more than an hour and a half if I don't goof off too much.

Maybe this would make an ok non optimal novice program on the same schedule:
    1) Squats, Power Cleans
    2) Bench/Press, Chins
    3) Squats, DL
    4) Bench/Press, Chins

You would make it through this cycle 3 times in 4 weeks. I might add in a few light presses and squats though to stay fresher but that would mean a third lift.

Rama,

I'm curious, why you would want to do this program instead of standard SS? What obstacle is causing you to not do 3 excersices per training session?

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    ... What obstacle is causing you to not do 3 excersices per training session?
    I'd guess TIME. 2 exercises means you can warm up, work out, shower, and change clothes to be out of the gym and on to work in less than an hour, easy.

Another exercise means it's over 1 hour, including cleanup.

Think 15 minutes a lift, total, for a couple of warmups and changing weights and 3 minutes rest, TOPS, between sets. That's 30, plus 5 minutes general warmup, 5 minutes for stretches after, 20 minutes to shave and shower and dress, that's 1 hour.

Another lift puts you OVER by a quarter hour (if you budget cleanup time, as if you're lifting before work at an office or sales job).

Yeah it's suboptimal compared to a longer program, but it's better than sleeping in an extra hour.

Thanks Mark, I just started following this program that you suggested here from today. By the way I wanted to thank you for the video of the New version of The Press, Today is my first day in the gym on the new version of Press and it feels fantastic. I always felt that the old version of The Press was kind of down and felt like it is more like a body part based work out rather than the entire body workout due to this press became my least favorite exercisse in the past. I am glad you came up with the New version it is awesome and targeting somany of my muscles in the body. I really appreciate your attitude of being open and correcting things as and when required. You are Fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is no right combination. But

1. Squat, Press

2. Deadlift, Bench Press

3. Squat, Press

would be better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rama View Post
    You are Fabulous.
    Finally, an accurate assessment.