starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys & girls,

Here is my recent squat and deadlift: https://vimeo.com/52127884

Squat 3 x 5 x 162.5kg (358 lb) - video shows set 2 of 3. I can see that as I come out of the bottom of the squat there is some movement that shouldn't be there - my knees are sliding forward and also coming together. I have to work on this.

Deadlift 1 x 5 x 195kg (430 lb).

Any feedback or tips welcome. Thanks.

Comment on the squat: it looks a little high. You could fix this by pointing your toes a bit further out, and making sure to set your knees out hard. You've already seen that they are coming together. Don't do that! I can't quite tell, but you might want a little bit wider stance.

I envy your rack and ample supply of bumper plates.

Thanks for the tips Karl! I've been a bit under the weather with a cold, and have had some low back pain too. This morning I squatted a lighter weight, 3x5x130kg, with a slightly wider stance and feet pointed out more, and made sure I got decent depth. However even with this lighter weight, and trying to shove my knees out, my knees STILL came together a little out of the bottom (although nowhere near as much).

Seeing as I am unable to maintain good form (keep knees out and also attain sufficient depth), I think will drop back the weight a bit to work on form.

Yes I love my home gym. I bit the bullet and set it up around the middle of the year. It was expensive, but I don't regret it one bit.

I checked out your training log - good work!

Phillip, need another angle, but your heels appear to be very close. Are they under your shoulders or hips? Depth will be improved if you get your toes at 35 degrees (as Karl stated), and move your feet a little wider - should be under your shoulders. When feet are very narrow, the hips are impinged and depth is more difficult to achieve. Bring your heels out slightly, toes out slightly to a full 30-35 degrees, jam your knees out, and squat.