starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

The camera angle isn't the best but my general thoughts are as follows:
    1. You need to be building tension on the way down for a proper stretch reflex/rebound at the bottom. Control the bar don't just fall into the bottom of your squat.
    2. By the relaxation at the bottom I can just tell your knees aren't being driven out far enough. Push those knees out to the walls. Once you think they are out enough..push them out more.
    Try these two things and get a better camera angle so we can see what your legs are doing at the bottom.

Thanks for your reply.
    I did suspect my descent was to quick...
    I'll try again and update with a better video.

You are front squatting your backsquat. This is a classic high bar squat, knees angle closes too much, hip angle stay too open. Have you read the book?

I have read the book / am going through it daily... Also watched the DVD, but i'm not sure what exactly to fix. I know need to get to the bottom slower and push my knees further. Other than that, what needs change?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

(1) The biggest problem I see is that you're completely relaxed in the bottom. Divebombing and your excessive depth are symptoms of the problem, not the causes...you have to tense everything up and maintain your lumbar extension and ab contraction from start to finish.

(2) Knees out will help keep your hamstrings and adductors tense so you can get a good bounce out of the hole. It will also prevent your knees from going so damn far forward in front of your toes.

(3) Stand up at the top. Your knees are bent and you're hunched over. You should be standing up with each rep.

Start with those three for now and post another video. We can make further adjustments from there, but I suspect tightness and knees out will fix most of the problems.

starting strength coach development program
    One more thing.

You clearly have not read this.

Fortunately for you, Mac and Brodie are Nice Guys.