starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench programming

Default Bench programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing SS for a while, and have gotten my bench from a very sad 65lb to a less embarrassing, but hardly impressive 175lb. But I have recently been stalling, and I'm wondering where to go from here.

I stalled at 160, reset, got up to 167.5 and stalled, reset, got up to 175 and looks like i'm stalling again (Increases were 2.5lb). Assuming I do stall, it seems I could continue to reset and bump up the weight slowly, but it takes a long time each time. Another option would be to try some intermediate program like the texas method, but this weight seems much lower than when most people transition. I guess my age could be a factor as well.

I'm a 35yo M, 6'1" and now about 210 lbs. I think I'm eating ok. I get lots of protein and I believe enough calories as my BW has been going up a pound a week or so. I guess i'm fatter than I would like, but I really don't care at the moment. Losing weight has never been an issue for me.

My squats and deadlift are both continuing fine on LP for now. My press got stuck (after a few resets) at 112.5 and then I irritated my shoulder a bit so I've been working back up to there, but would obviously change my programming for that if I change my bench programming.

I appreciate any opinions you folks may have.

I have a few ideas for you. Check out my log too, since I have done all of these in one way or another. First things first, move your upper body lifts to the beginning of the day if you stick with a whole body routine, or the other option is to do a split. I will show you twp possible split ideas, but you could modify them back into whole body routines too.

1st one is a TM split:

M- Intensity Press 1x5 (this can change over time), Volume Bench (5x5 or I like 4x4 right now), + 2 quality assistance exercises (things like: Pullups, Tricep Ext, Curls, etc)

T- Squat 3x5, Power cleans 5x3... continuing LP here

Th- Intensity Bench 1x5, Volume Press (same as above), +2 quality assistance exercises

F- Squat 3x5, Deadlift 1x5... LP again

The other option that I am doing right now has every day getting a main exercise. You ramp up to a single and then do dropsets 4x4. The last set can be AMRAP. It works in light/heavy/heavy waves; check my log for more details.

M- Press up to 1x1, 4x4+, 3 assistance exercises

T- same as above since you are still on LP

Th- Bench up to 1x1, 4x4+, 3 assistance exercises

F- same as above since are are still on LP

Both of these will blast your bench/press up big time. The second one has really been working well for me, but I have done both.

Thanks for the ideas! As much as I would love to do a split I'm not sure I can swing it with the family at the moment. On the other hand, I am not sure I can even pack much more into a full body workout as I am often tight on time. I already do the upper body before lower. My current program is as follows:

M: B/P 3x5, SQ 3x5, PC 5x3, Chins/Curls
    W: P/B 3x5, DL 1x5, Curls/Chins
    F: B/P 3x5, SQ 3x5, Chins/Curls

It is I guess rather similar to GSLP. I was having trouble recovering from squats 3x a week and even with a light day, trying to squat and DL in the same day was hard, so DL by itself on Wed. felt a bit better. And curls seem to keep me from having bicep tendinitis

I suppose I could try letting press stagnate a bit, and just focus on bench for a bit... along the lines of

M: Volume Bench, SQ 3x5, Chins
    W: Press 3x5, DL 1x5, Curls
    F: Intensity Bench, SQ 3x5, PC 5x3, Chins

Something like that could work, but I haven't tried it. What are you planning to do for volume/intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Something like that could work, but I haven't tried it. What are you planning to do for volume/intensity?
    Well, I'm new to the idea of intermediate programming, but it seems the simplest way to start would be with volume at 5x5, and intensity 1x5

Yeah, that is probably a good place to start. You and I are about the same age, you could go all wild and try some 4x4's! :-)

You can also start your volume at 3x5 for the presses-- that actually works well. Another idea is to do 5/3/1 press on Wednesdays (while benching twice a week). That worked OK for me for a bit.

You could also try the Jim Steel "Get a bigger bench" program. You'd have to buy the book ($10) but it's a 5 week intermediate program that will add 5% to your bench. The main limitation is that you have to do ALL of your arm and upper body work on the two bench days. (No pressing on rest days-- so it's 2 days of pushes/upper/arm and 5 days of rest. That in itself lends itself to a split so you can press, bench and curl all on the same day.

I've seen two other variations on the presses and TM:

1) Alternating Vol/Intensity regardless of the day so:
    Mon: vol press Wed:: vol bench Fri: Inten press
    Mon: vol bench Wed: volume press Fri: intensity bench and so on

2) Mon: Vol press Wed: volume bench Fri: intensity press and then do Bench/Press/Bench the following week. You repeat the weight for the Wed lift two weeks in a row so it's slower....

Many people don't complain about recovery when doing these TM variations, probably because they are doing 3x5 and not 5x5.

Lots of possibilities! Hope that's not TMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    1st one is a TM split:

M- Intensity Press 1x5 (this can change over time), Volume Bench (5x5 or I like 4x4 right now), + 2 quality assistance exercises (things like: Pullups, Tricep Ext, Curls, etc)

Th- Intensity Bench 1x5, Volume Press (same as above), +2 quality assistance exercises

This is genius, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I've been trying to think of a way to include both presses intelligently on the TM.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jkw View Post
    I've been doing SS for a while, and have gotten my bench from a very sad 65lb to a less embarrassing, but hardly impressive 175lb. But I have recently been stalling, and I'm wondering where to go from here.

I stalled at 160, reset, got up to 167.5 and stalled, reset, got up to 175 and looks like i'm stalling again (Increases were 2.5lb). Assuming I do stall, it seems I could continue to reset and bump up the weight slowly, but it takes a long time each time. Another option would be to try some intermediate program like the texas method, but this weight seems much lower than when most people transition. I guess my age could be a factor as well.
    Resetting = Recovery

At some point eveyone stalls. That usually indicates your need to back off and allow recovery to take place.

Recovery allows an increase in strength and muscle growth

Another Option

Changing your program, as you indicated, is nothing more than "Resetting".

Starting over with something new allows for recovery to take place.

"It take a long time..."

You need to look at the long term. You made good progress with "Resetting".

As the saying goes, "Don't fix what isn't broken."

Periodization Training

Periodization Training revolves around constantly changing your program. That purpose is to allow for recovery.

Recovery is a major component to continued progress.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    The 4x4 routine I am doing is a form of periodization. It is a 3 week cycle that goes light/heavy/heavy. It actually is the two steps forward, one step back method made famous by Paula Abdul! :-)

Michael, I think you will really like the TM split. I did it for a while and got pretty good results with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast