starting strength gym

Thread: Need help with squat

Default Need help with squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I've been having problems lately and I can't figure out a solution. I've browsed and searched the forum and also read the 2nd and 3rd editions of SS.

So, here it is: http://vimeo.com/56771034
    When I am at the bottom of my squats, my left knee pops out to the side, which tips me and makes the ascent uneven; also, it looks quite disconcerting.

So far, I've tried knees out, paused squats, slower descent, box squats, trying to force my left knee in, not pointing out my left foot as much, and several combinations of the above.

I did realize that I had to force my knees out more, but this did not solve my problem.
    Also, box squats solve the issue. If you think I can make it permanently go away with box squats, I would only like to ask how I should incorporate it into my workouts/temporarily replace normal squats with it, and for how long.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I can't really see the problem from here. Thinks look ok, but we need to see head to toe and another angle.

Can't see it either.

From here your left knee seems to bend in too much at lockout. More so than your right knee. I'd want to ask a doctor about that.

Hard to tell from this video, but it looks like you may have some tendency toward knock knee and back knee, with each leg being affected to a different degree? But this doesn't seem to result in any significant asymmetry in lower body movement from that angle. From what I can see of your upper body, the issue could very well be one of bar placement and uneven movement of the shoulders and upper back. At any rate, we need better video. Read Steve's and Tom's stickies at the top of this forum.

Default Need help with squat

The lighting makes it look a little funny to me. I think the squat itself looks ok.

Well, that was unexpected. I specifically chose this video because the problem seemed most severe on this one. Are you sure this is ok?

Also, I've uploaded another video. Unfortunately, my feet can't be seen, but this is the best I have at the moment. I drive from the chest on this one. Sorry. I can fix that by myself, it was just hard thinking about two problems at the same time while squatting. These are kind-of paused squats.
    http://vimeo.com/56804061
    Though, if you didn't see it on the first, I doubt you are going to see it on this one.

Watch your upper back. It starts in flexion and as you go into your squat it kind of fixes itself into extension. I think you should try setting your thoracic spine in extension before starting each rep. This will lock your grip and the bar into your back and keep things above the waist from moving. You should feel more stability.

I still can't see what you're talking about with the knee "popping out".

First of all, thanks for everyone's input. I took Nick's advice, and while things didn't exactly become perfect, the situation has improved.
    http://vimeo.com/56917121
    What I noticed was that the first two reps were better, while the last three... not so much.
    But I hope I can fix this by concentrating on keeping my upper back straight all through the set.
    What do you think?

starting strength coach development program
    Nice. That was better.