starting strength gym

Thread: recommendations for getting a 66yo father started with better life.

Default recommendations for getting a 66yo father started with better life.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have read quite a few threads here but wanted to ask for specific tips suggestion. Part of the challenge will be on the motivation side.

my Dad:
    66yo, never exercised regularly since youth but due to active lifestyle as a farmer has been always in decent shape and strength.
    For decades (at least):
    -has had very high cholesterol (if untreated), no need for lecture of how cholesterol isn't related to dietary cholesterol etc.
    -thoracic spine has 5 vertebrae fused on their own from injuries when younger. Causes naturally very stiff upper back but surprisingly little other symptoms
    -shoulder injury. Had some funky bacteria infection combined with bad moves (same winter almost fell from a tree, tore something throwing a big branch and maybe something to do with a ram). Seems to bug on and off. But not that bad. I think strength being out of balance is factor.

Past few years his lifestyle has gotten far more passive and he had a chain of sucky incidents, simple hernia operation went really badly with complications, tore his hamstring very badly when almost falling in a train and then got bad back trouble. Basically inactivity from one thing led to the next trouble. All this made him sort of give up a bit. His weight has been steady ~100kg/225lbs at 180cm/6' but a lot has gone from legs and other muscles to his belly in the past 5 years. He seems to have so so blood sugar management as he gets very drowsy after meals but no diabetes diagnosed.

I lived abroad for years and have been back for 6 months and been trying to think of ways of igniting the exercise and lifestyle changes from within himself. It has hasn't been successful and now this xmas a partial blood clot was found in major artery in his neck. It just got cleared with a successful operation. I take this as an extremely lucky warning as no damage was caused and want to push for a change for adding (quality ) years in his life.

So here we are now. Naturally I want to check with the docs 1st to get an ok for training considering the recent events etc. I do tend to have skeptical attitude towards docs as its so easy for them to err on the low risk side of just suggest rest for everything - but in this case I will have to take their word more seriously.

I need to confront him to an extent and gently make him understand that lifestyle changes are be in order if he wants to stick around. (2-4 glasses of wine/ every day not so cool, 4 spoons of sugar in coffee is the same, eating pastries and sweet stuff somewhat frequently especially when topped with very little physical activity).

I am thinking somewhat following:
    -3 x week some kind of planned exercise. Especially at start doesn't matter quite what it is. some can be very light and even rather short.
    -as much basic normal activity as possible: walk with the dogs, to pick up the mail (1/2 mile) etc. No real exhaustive stuff but activities.

With the actual exercise I think absolute key is soft start. He definitely has a bit down attitude and for example he seems to see "injuries" when I think they sometimes are just sore muscles. Victory over this 'given up' attitude is the key to this whole battle. He is pretty strong in general especially upper body but quite stiff allover. I think goals could be described as: weight loss, mobility, general well being and survivability (my word it seems).

There is an 60+ men only organized classes quite near us once a week. Its mobility, bodyweight stuff, games etc. I am thinking it would be a good fit especially as some people he respects have been going to these.

On top of that I want to drag him to the gym 1-2 times a week. Gives us dad/son time and ability for me to help with sticking with it at the start. I am hesitant in going all SS on him for all the reasons listed. So I am thinking a transition period of a month or two where 1 day would be light "cardio": rowing, bike (15-20 min), maybe a 10-20 min easy weights and stretching. Day 2 would be prepping him for SS ie. leg press, bench (if his shoulder can take it) and maybe cable pull down, all with 3x5 style routine. Basically less technical resistance training with easy starts.

crap - I am writing a novel without precise questions. I know it is not the best way of getting help - I guess I am being the lame guy who wants general input and suggestions.

Also my day 1 is bit vague with "light weight stuff", but I want to start things super easy.

Anything else I should seriously consider? More warm ups than myself and tons of patience. I am a weakling myself but I am pretty patient and have decent eye for what people are doing so I think I can do a pretty decent job in correcting his technique.

as said not a well constructed post. Still trying to figure it all in my head too but any encouragement, tips, info etc. for my mission is much appreciated.

H

Your father is lucky you care this much.

And yes, you are all over the map, but your ideas about getting him into a more active way of living (I hate the term lifestyle) are not bad. So I'll just put some of the ideas you had in a little more concise order if you don't mind.

Start by talking it over with him and get a sense of HIS commitment to the idea. Trying to "drag" him into it will frustrate the both of you. Try a little low key marketing but recognize it's his choice and his decision. I made the mistake of trying to "drag" our daughter into exercise in middle school. Didn't end well.

Yes, get out and walk. Short ones leading to longer ones, leading to some easy hills if you have any nearby. Get him moving.

Then ease into the mobility etc. class you mentioned. It will up the ante a little more throughout his body and he can assess how well he'll react to resistance exercises.

Put him on the SS program. The leg press may be necessary and may not. Start with an empty bar or even a broomhandle if he has the strength and stability. Three times a week is fine. But if he needs to ease into that, there's twice a week or even 3 times over the course of 2 weeks. Both of those work well at any age. I did both during my 50's.

Once he starts SS, don't overthink it. Most of that has already been done in the development of the program. Maybe power cleans are not for him. But you may both be pleasantly surprised at trying them. That said, I don't have the shoulder or wrist mobility at 62 to make them work for me. So I do power snatches.

Hope this is useful.

As a former farmer he probably has a lot of residual strength even though he has lost some muscle mass. I bet you both will be surprised at how fast his strength can build up once he gets on a program. But that is the rub. I agree with Mark E H, talk with him and find out his goals and hopes and fears. Start slow. He will definitely dig hanging out with you as long as you aren't a nag and don't put him down. Be encouraging and supportive of his goals. Don't go negative.

Thanks for the replies. He has 2 weeks of pretty total rest - no real strenuous anything and then I think we can start thinking of walking and transition to workouts. Yet to talk to the doc myself.

Still working on my speech for the "we need to do things bit differently - but hey its fun!" speech. Going to be honest but try to put a positive twist.

H

I feel your pain, as my 64 yo father puts me in the same situation as you. He has not had the run of bad luck your dad has had, but he is still very sedentary at this stage of his life. I'm concerned about his long term well being and want to get him to become more active. My mother has continued to exercise (walking and playing with her grandkids), but my father just doesn't want to exert himself. He has a bum knee from his days of midget football in the 50's, and some arthritis in his joints, but I would just need to get him motivated to work with me. I'm not a fitness professional, but I think the hardest part would be his "buy-in" to a regimented program or activity.

Good luck with this - please keep the forum updated on how things progress with the both of you.