starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling and Feeling Weak

Default Stalling and Feeling Weak

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi I'm 6'3'' and 224 pounds. Started SS 1 month ago everything was going pretty well untill now. I'm Stalling for 2 weeks on bench, Squat and deadlift. I don't know why but i feel so weak after squat sets done. I got chest doms for 2 weeks i not only increase weight but also drop the weight to do 5 reps. I don't know why but i feel weak after all squat sets are done even though i know that i dont lift heavy. My Gym owner and all gym participants try to convince me to leave SS though they dont know anything about it.They want me to split 3 big lifts on different days. monday squat, tuesday bench, friday deadlift and so on.
    My lifts are:
    (1 month ago and now)
    Bodyweight 198 > 224
    Squat: 143 > 242
    Bench Press 110 > 165
    Press 66 > 110
    Deadlift 176 > 246

Except press, these numbers are same for almost 2 week almost. Also in the last two workouts i had to drop the weights of Squat and Bench.

I care for my recovery a lot. I try to sleep 8 hours everyday. Eat Over 3000 calories everyday. Getting weight is very easy for me. I did prolonged low calorie diet for such a long time that im always hungry now ALWAYS. Almost in my most meals i eat clean. My starting weight was 198 pounds now its 224. As you see getting weight is so easy for me. I really don't know why i'm stalling. I know that my numbers are so low as for my height and weight they should be much higher. Every people in the gym say something different they also believe that Squats depletes my all muscle glycogen thats why i cant improve my other lifts after it. What should i do to improve my lifts linear again? Also Could you make comments for my height and weight please. How much weight should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerzul View Post
    Hi I'm 6'3'' and 224 pounds. Started SS 1 month ago everything was going pretty well untill now. I'm Stalling for 2 weeks on bench, Squat and deadlift. I don't know why but i feel so weak after squat sets done. I got chest doms for 2 weeks i not only increase weight but also drop the weight to do 5 reps. I don't know why but i feel weak after all squat sets are done even though i know that i dont lift heavy. My Gym owner and all gym participants try to convince me to leave SS though they dont know anything about it.They want me to split 3 big lifts on different days. monday squat, tuesday bench, friday deadlift and so on.
    My lifts are:
    (1 month ago and now)
    Bodyweight 198 > 224
    Squat: 143 > 242
    Bench Press 110 > 165
    Press 66 > 110
    Deadlift 176 > 246

Except press, these numbers are same for almost 2 week almost. Also in the last two workouts i had to drop the weights of Squat and Bench.

I care for my recovery a lot. I try to sleep 8 hours everyday. Eat Over 3000 calories everyday. Getting weight is very easy for me. I did prolonged low calorie diet for such a long time that im always hungry now ALWAYS. Almost in my most meals i eat clean. My starting weight was 198 pounds now its 224. As you see getting weight is so easy for me. I really don't know why i'm stalling. I know that my numbers are so low as for my height and weight they should be much higher. Every people in the gym say something different they also believe that Squats depletes my all muscle glycogen thats why i cant improve my other lifts after it. What should i do to improve my lifts linear again? Also Could you make comments for my height and weight please. How much weight should i get?
    What do you mean by this?

I think you're doing just fine. Adding 55 pounds on bench in one month is huge. I've been lifting for 6 months and have only added 60 pounds to my bench.

I think it's possible you pushed yourself too hard in the first two weeks, and now your body is playing catch-up. Don't be so hard on yourself. Try to make consistent gains. Eat well. Sleep well.

How much rest are you taking between sets?

Also, you can do upper body first if you want.

Have you been on SS for 4 or 6 weeks? In either case it sounds like you were adding too much weight from workout to workout. For someone your size these are below average numbers but don't fret slow and steady wins the race.

The details that you report are not consistent with doing the SS program. (e.g. you can't be at the same weight for 6 squat workouts. Nor does this: "I got chest doms for 2 weeks i not only increase weight but also drop the weight to do 5 reps." sound right. )

What increments are you using for your various exercises ?
    What reps at what weight do you do (exactly) for your last two squat workouts ?

Also, slow down on the food man. You're almost certainly already over 20% fat. Another month like this and you'll be pushing 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by s-m View Post
    How much rest are you taking between sets?
    3-4 mostly
    Also, you can do upper body first if you want.
    Can i? squat would suffer after bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeknom58 View Post
    Have you been on SS for 4 or 6 weeks? In either case it sounds like you were adding too much weight from workout to workout. For someone your size these are below average numbers but don't fret slow and steady wins the race.
    I had never been in calorie surplus or strength programme. in these 2 years i always tried to burn the fat thats why also eating huge and unlimitted food is easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    The details that you report are not consistent with doing the SS program. (e.g. you can't be at the same weight for 6 squat workouts. Nor does this: "I got chest doms for 2 weeks i not only increase weight but also drop the weight to do 5 reps." sound right. ) oh.. sorry for my english . i meant i couldnt even do the same weight for chest press so i had to even decrease it. This monday there will be chest again and I'm still be afraid of not increasing the weight.

What increments are you using for your various exercises ?
    What reps at what weight do you do (exactly) for your last two squat workouts ?

Also, slow down on the food man. You're almost certainly already over 20% fat. Another month like this and you'll be pushing 30%.
    i jumped huge so easily in the first week but after it became 5 pounds rule. For Squat i have been struggling 242 pounds for 2 weeks. this week i had to drop it to 220. My form sucks when i go 240. I can't go parallel on the floor it becomes a partial squat. I don't think that my fat ratio is over 20% Im gonna try to upload a photo of before and today.

I really appreciate your comments and advices because im so damn need them as it makes me go crazy. I take vitamins minerals, whey powder, dextrose, creatine and so on.

It's really frustrating to suffer these. Because i spent like 3 weeks to find a gym which has a squat rack in it. Every owner i faced tried to convince me to leave this idea behind about squat and that i dont need squat rack to build its muscle. They all say they have smith machine, leg press, leg curl etc... I know Rip's ideas on leg press and smith machine but you know what the saddest part is: The Gym that im going at the moment is so old and so expensive when comparing with other latest Gym Clubs. Everything is old though i dont care it as i only use rack, bench and freeweights. In my country its 80 dollars while other latest cool Clubs whose members and young and many are 50 dollars. My friends push me to leave it as its so old and solitary. But ım ready to pay even more just because it has old school squat rack eventhough it doesnt has any safety or something

Last edited by Kerzul; 01-27-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Default Stalling and Feeling Weak

starting strength coach development program
    Too skinny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast