starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A somewhat adderall-fueled rant,

Default A somewhat adderall-fueled rant,

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip:

Sorry in advance for the long post. The Brian Jones article got me thinking today about the role of barbell training not only in rehab but in all areas of athletics. With regard to running, you have mentioned in the past something along the lines of "start squatting, and see what happens." So, although this isn't exactly an endurance-oriented site, I have a proposition for you that you may or may not find of interest.

I was a D1aa cross country runner in college from 2002 - 2006. During that time, the extent of my strength training was basically nil. I haven't trained seriously since then and haven't done a lick of consistent cardio-based training in any shape or form in probably 5 years. Needless to say, I am about as deconditioned for running as you can possibly get.

So here is the question - does applying your strength training principles make a runner fast, faster? I am curious as to how fast I could bounce back, if at all. One of the biggest inhibitors to rapid improvement with running is the risk of injury. Maybe barbell training and lower mileage can help with that.

I'm thinking of doing a little experiment and posting results as I go on these forums (in training log section of course). My best time in the mile was 4:40 in high school. I probably would have trouble breaking 7:00 right now, maybe worse. So the experiment would be to run an all-out mile now to create a baseline. I'll post my current weight, lift weights, etc, then post every workout over the next 3-6 months.

Thoughts?

Experiments are cool. I assume you've read the threads that pertain to the effects of strength training on military PT. I think you'll find the same applies to you. I'll bet you run a 7:30 the first time and a 7:00 the second.

With a title like this, I expected a better rant.

I will be interested in this as it happens. A guy I work with is having me help him start the lifts and he is a distance runner just wants a bit more mass(he is 6'3" 147lbs) and he doesn't want it to cut back much on his running while lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    he is 6'3" 147lbs
    This produces a visceral reaction akin to nausea.

Key word was "somewhat" fueled... shit wears off after a while. In my defense, I spent a long time trimming that post down. don't worry, it's dr. prescribed because i'm ADD as balls. I took my zinc and magnesium last night.... the touch of adderall still in my system provided for some acid-like dreams.

I've gotta do a bit more reading on here as to how to modify my program. I am interested to see how this progresses, given that I am 6'4 210 now, and I was about 6'2, 160 at the time when I ran 4:40. Still have to get the time necessary to train more frequently and so forth. It would be pretty sick to run a sub 5:00 mile and still weigh over two hundo.

The trick will be ramping up conditioning work in a way that doesn't get me injured. About a month ago I tried to go out and do a few sprints and nearly shit out my spleen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This produces a visceral reaction akin to nausea.
    (433 + 147) = 290. hey If you averaged me with him you'd get 290 which ain't so bad.

I was 6'4 165 or so when my last XC season ended.... 65-80 miles a week will do that to you. If your coworker is 6'3 147, then you have to trick him. If he wants more mass and he is running a shitload, that just ain't gonna happen... but tell him it will if he does GOMAD.

If he sticks with it, he won't be able to run nearly as much because he'll have 6lbs of milk in his stomach, and well, when it comes to running, milk is a bad choice. So then boom, he gains weight, and you don't have to look at this Skelator walking around.

Also, make fun of him for weighing less than a sturdy female basketball player.

You should see him squat....

he is 6'3" 147lbs
    I ran cross country for one year in college (at a tiny college, I wasn't very impressive; could barely break 6 min. miles over a 5 mile course) and weighed the same, only I'm 5'6" (yeah I'm not built to do distance running). Perhaps my bro-based workouts (legs day was extension machine, leg curls, calf raises and leg press, at a minimum, all for the most weight I could do for 3x10) and my ability to eat tons of food helped me keep some weight on. But man that guy must look disturbing.

starting strength coach development program
    wants a bit more mass(he is 6'3" 147lbs)
    WOW!! Just WOW!! Are you f'in kidding me. I am 6'5" and weight approximately 220lbs more than this guy and I am by no means strong nor am I a giant gelatinous mass of fat. I could stand to lose about 50lbs but holy fuck! How does a guy that is 6'3" even weight that little...does he have ANY muscle?? I mean shit I bet my skeleton nearly weighs that much.

I agree with Mark's assessment that just thinking about that makes me sick.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast