starting strength gym

Thread: This Deadlifter's hips shoots up first, how come he's still able to lift that heavy?

Default This Deadlifter's hips shoots up first, how come he's still able to lift that heavy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So in the vid below, it looks like his hips shoot up first before the bar breaks off the floor (which is supposed to be a no-no in SS). So is hips shooting up first is really that not detrimental? Any comments about his hips shooting up first?

FYI, to those who might perceive this post as smart-aleck-esque, I meant to post this because I'm curious.

Fake plates.

His hips start very low and then come to a point where the shoulders are in front of the bar. Then the bar breaks off the ground. His hips and shoulders get to where thye have to be in order to pull. The only reason it looks like they are shooting up is because he starts so low. That's one very strong motherfucker.

His setup is from the bottom up, rather than from the top down. I have a feeling his hips wouldn't look as high if he set up a la Starting Strength.

There are many, many examples one could find of very strong people lifting very heavy weights with very bad form. I'm not saying this form is very bad; I just liked the anaphora.

The better and more efficient your technique, the more weight you can lift at a given level of strength and the safer you will be doing so, especially as the bar gets heavy. It is not a binary wherein any form deviation means a missed lift and/or you hobble off the platform crippled for life.

It's up to each lifter whether he wants to be correct or he wants to be stubborn. That, in lifting as well as in life, very often *is* a binary.