starting strength gym

Thread: Early morning training and cycling high/low days

Question Early morning training and cycling high/low days

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

Thanks for all the work you put into answering these questions. After several years of lifting, your posts here have finally gotten me to *understand* some of the basic concepts of nutrition for lifting.

I've recently started training in the early AM (5:30-6:00). My workouts typically take less than an hour (but it depends on where I'm at...). I don't do well training right after eating anything, so currently I'm pounding some coffee, BCAAs, and beta-alanine 20-30 minutes before I hit the garage.

I'm 5'11, 205, and somewhere in the 15-18% bodyfat range. I've been experimenting with cycling high and low days - high days (4 days per week) are 275/500/80, low days (3 days, obviously) are 250/300/100 (though I have a hard time keeping the fat low because low-fat breakfasts are really unpalatable to me - still working on that).

The question, finally: since I'm training in the morning, should I hit the high day the day OF training or the day BEFORE training?

The question, finally: since I'm training in the morning, should I hit the high day the day OF training or the day BEFORE training?
    I'd try both and see what works best for you. If you're training M/T/R/F I'd probably do high days Sun/Tues/R/F

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd try both and see what works best for you. If you're training M/T/R/F I'd probably do high days Sun/Tues/R/F
    Makes sense - I may try the STRF high day schedule. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    After several years of lifting, your posts here have finally gotten me to *understand* some of the basic concepts of nutrition for lifting.
    I'd like to chime in with my +1 on this. I wish I had had this knowledge when I started. I find the video podcasts you do on thefitcoach page to be really useful also.

My thanks