starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form Check - Press and Deadlift

Default Form Check - Press and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male/ 20/ PP 2nd Edition/ 5' 10''/ 80 kg

Press feels pretty weak, I weigh about80 kg so I'm hoping to get the press up to around 65 kg. Advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkOxpXE_No

Recently dropped my deadlift back from 125 kg to 100 kg to try and fix the low back pain I was having. Are my hips right and all that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBRIbyufyVA

Your back is straight, but that's not enough to create a good deadlift.

You forcefully push the bar forward when you set up (look at it rolling away), creating a big lever that you have to overcome. I do the same little motion to lower the hips before each rep, but next time just let the shins touch the bar - don't let them push it forward away from your mid-foot.

Then, on the way down, you try to sit the bar down and you have to make a loop to get around your knees, beacause you don't unlock your hips.

Correct these inefficiencies and post up an updated video.

Well spotted, it's only when you say that the bar rolls forward do I see it. So you're saying from the top my hips need to unlock first? Thanks for that, will post another deadlift video on the 19th as per the program.

Yes. Now, don't do this to the extent of hyperextending your knees. Keep them neutral.

Use those hips to basically do the reverse of what the did on the upward portion of the pull.

In the press, I would say you move the bar too far back on lockout. It's probably not too common a problem, but you appear to be very flexible in the shoulders. Watch the video again and look at the position of the bar at the top of the movement--it should be over your shoulders, and it's actually behind them.

Yeah it should be over the scapulas but it's way behind, this almost causes me to lose the lift a couple of times. Guess I'll just focus on keeping it nearer! I am crazy flexible, great in some ways but bad in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    Yeah it should be over the scapulas but it's way behind, this almost causes me to lose the lift a couple of times. Guess I'll just focus on keeping it nearer! I am crazy flexible, great in some ways but bad in others.
    Yeah, I think you might be losing some of the tightness up top. Have you seen this? Rip demonstrates the press in the video himself, and you can see how much tighter the movement is supposed to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Yes. Now, don't do this to the extent of hyperextending your knees. Keep them neutral.

Use those hips to basically do the reverse of what the did on the upward portion of the pull.
    Deadlifted today, here's the video. Critiques? Knees are still not getting out of the way properly, there was blood on my pants after lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XFD4WBJ8s

You are pushing the bar away from you when you set it up. See it roll away? That's making the lift harder for you.

I take it the blood is on your shins? May just be a gnarly sharp bar. I do see your old problem manifesting a bit here - the knees getting in the way a bit on the way down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    You are pushing the bar away from you when you set it up. See it roll away? That's making the lift harder for you.

I take it the blood is on your shins? May just be a gnarly sharp bar. I do see your old problem manifesting a bit here - the knees getting in the way a bit on the way down.
    Ffs, I keep doing that. Guess that's problem #1 then. Yeah definitely noticed that, I'll just have to focus more on the hips doing their job. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast