starting strength gym

Thread: Bench and Power Clean Form Check

Default Bench and Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Guys, I've been at Starting Strength for a little over a month now, and I've gotten around to getting a couple of form check vids.

My Bench sucks. I started at 95, and worked my way up to 135 yesterday. I've 1RM 185 before, but my bench is terrible and I think it's technique. Or I could just be a huge pussy. Either way. The video is of probably 100lbs. I took it a few weeks ago. Let me know if you'd like to see one with my working weight now, but I think my technique is the same so hopefully you can help with this.

Bench Press

As far as Power Cleans go, I've never done them. This is my second session with them and I worked up to 115 on my initial training session with them, so that's where I started with my working sets yesterday. I'm not really sure how close they are, and since this is my first time with them, feel free to pick them apart.

Power Clean

Thanks Guys!

Bench

It doesn't look like you have tightened your upper back at all? Really jam those shoulder blades together. Also get tighter between your upper and lower back and create an arch for yourself. Right now it looks like you are just laying down on your back flat.

Cleans

You're looking powerful, just make sure to keep the bar tight against your legs until you hit the jump point. Also, don't drop the weight man lol. Just set it down slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the input jayshort21!

Bench, I do really struggle with Back tightness, but they're pulled back there, I'm not just laying flat. But I think you're right this may be an issue for me.

Cleans, yea the last rep came down faster than I wanted. I do struggle with some trap issues with neck problems, so I don't want to really jar my shoulders down so I do let it go. But I can work on that too.

It's hard to tell with your bench due to the light weight. Post a set of 5 from a work set and then we'll see better.

The cleans aren't terrible. You "load up" at the jumping position by A. Stopping the movement of the bar, and B. Bending your arms slightly. Don't do that.

Accelerate through the jumping position allowing the force of the jump to carry the bar upwards. Then swing your elbows through faster and rack it.

Thanks Nick. I'll try and get a working set on the bench on my next bench day.

I've gotten a couple of opinions on the Clean and they both point to the stopping at the launch point. I guess I'm still learning the movement and Rip says to take it slow to the jump point. These are still two separate movements in my head, but smooth it out.

Anyone else?

starting strength coach development program
    Here's the latest BP working set. Thoughts? I think back tightness looks better. It certainly feels better. Thoughts?