starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is a PR for me at 1x5 @ 250 lbs. My lower back felt a bit vulnerable during these. I did fail twice with my squats before doing this set and they put pressure on my back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQDXBTRqG4

Thanks in advance for any criticism and tips.

Have you read the sticky on pulls from the floor? Take a look at it, and the one on filming form checks, before reading the rest of my response.

1. You didn't show your set-up.
    2. You don't really do step 4: big breath, then squeeze chest up/set your back. You need to start doing this, and it could be the reason why you don't like how your back feels. I don't see any problematic rounding from this angle, but you do need to start setting your back.
    3. When you get the bar past your knees, you actually re-bend them a little and shoot your hips forward. Don't do this. It's coming close to hitching, and will probably turn into an all out hitch when the weight gets heavier. Learn to set your back, and make it strong enough to handle the angle.
    4. On subsequent reps, you drop your hips too low, and they have to raise up before the bar comes up off the floor. Set your hips up at the correct height, which is determined by steps 1-3 in the pulling sticky. Don't set them lower than that on subsequent reps.

Wow. I thought you were going to say, "Looks good, just keep your head down." Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on it.

Heh. But that's not really why you came here to get your technique checked, is it AK49? You didn't want a pat on the back. You wanted to get better, and stronger. So you're welcome. Now go get better. And stronger.