starting strength gym

Thread: Squat - toe angle question/problem

Default Squat - toe angle question/problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

When I do the squat stretch (on page 20) I setup as prescribed (heels at shoulder width, toes angled out 30 degrees), but when I press my elbows against the inside of my knees (after squatting down) my toe angle increases to about 45 degrees. ie: my feet/toes slide/turn out a little more along with my thighs. This stetch feels good though, and allows me to get to parallel (and below). The weight also feels relatively evenly distributed across the bottom of my feet.

I then setup as prescribed with the weighted bar (heels at shoulder width, toes at 30 degrees) and when I squat down and push/shove my knees out, the weight feels like it is almost all on the outside edges of my feet. The inside edge of the right foot actually comes off the ground as the foot rolls up on the outer edge (my feet cannot slide out to 45 degrees with the weighted bar). If I don't shove my knees out, I can squat down with the toes at 30 degrees and keep the feet flat on the floor.

So, my question is, is it possible that my toes should be pointed out 45% and not 30%? Perhaps this is the normal angle for me? If you need to shove your knees out (on the way down and up), and the weight should be evenly distributed across the bottom of your feet to prevent torquing the knee, then 45 degrees seems to be the only way for me. Or is there something I've missed or should be working on?

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Eh, I've had that happen too - but mainly with bare feet (while practicing the squat stretch). My first suspicion would be bad footwear or lack thereof. Also make sure the stance itself isn't too narrow.

For my personal anthropometry, I've found that my toes want to angle out a little more than 30 degrees. I'd experiment with stance width as well.

30 degrees is just a guideline. What you're currently doing may or may not be correct for you. Post video so we can see what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    30 degrees is just a guideline. What you're currently doing may or may not be correct for you. Post video so we can see what you're doing.
    I was going to say this. Everyone is different so, 30 degrees isn't the magic number, just play with the different angles until you find what's comfortable to you.

My toes (squatting, not stretching) has a tendency to angle out a tad more. I just keep my knees inline with my feet/toes.